Users can access Planner even if their license has been disabled?

Deleted
Not applicable

We noticed a few weeks ago, and confirmed via a Microsoft Support Ticket, that our users can still access Planner even after we've disabled their license for Planner.  The license switch apparently only disables the tile in the apps launcher.

I've mentioned this in other threads, but I wanted to add it here to see if others consider this an issue like we do?

(The way your users can circumvent the lack of a tile is to go directly to https://tasks.office.com and user their organizational credentials to login.)

11 Replies
This has been reported by many other companies too. Deprovisioning of licenses will just remove the tile alone from app launcher and the only way as of now is to block the url (tasks.office.com) from your network. Microsoft previously said they will be adding more admin controls here to prevent users from accessing unlicensed services.
Yes, and this is something we need not only for Planner but also for other stuff that lives "outside" the Office 365 limits (PowerApps, Flow, Stream)
Well said. It becomes really tough for admins to implement business policies without such controls.
At the recent SharePoint Saturday in Charlotte, NC, i was told by a senior member of the MS SharePoint team that they were working on many different Admin level improvements for SPO as well as other O365 services. He implied that this included Planner and that there would be some announcements next week at Ignite.

No issue.

License better to be disabled anyway

Since we licensed all of our users for Planner in December, this is no longer an issue for us.

Microsoft has improved our ability to control the roll out of most features/new workloads in the past couple of years.  We've also changed our approach and are only attempting to block workloads that we find do not meet our security and compliance requirements.  (Previously, we were blocking workloads until we were "ready" to support them.)

we have not provided license, but they are able to access. 

1. Can we prevent through  conditional access

2. Can you please provide more information on work load. How we are managing work load in planner. 

Still the same in November 2022 as per here. I just started looking at planner and this seems crazy to me. The wording on the article is ridiculous:

When Microsoft Planner is included in your subscription, it's automatically turned on for everyone in your organization. If you want to control which people in your organization have licenses for Planner, for example, if your organization isn't ready to begin using Planner, you can remove or assign Planner licenses by using Office 365 PowerShell.

Then it states

Note

Removing a user's Planner license only prevents them from navigating to Planner using the Planner tile. Users in your organization without licenses to Planner can still create and modify plans at the direct Planner URL: tasks.office.com. You can remove users' ability to create plans at tasks.office.com (see How do I manage who can create a plan?), but you can't remove their ability to see and modify existing plans at tasks.office.com at this time.

If this is what MS deems 'control' for an enterprise product I'll get my coat.

so far the same issue. MS planner returns all users even the disabled one. any one found a solution for this ?