Tell Us More: Views and Reporting Options in Planner

Microsoft

Hello Planner users!

Planner recently added a "Bucket Chart" to the Charts page, and we're continuing to think about ways to improve this view. I've heard snippets of feedback regarding pain points and suggestions for Planner's Charts page, but wanted to start a conversation here to find out more!

What views and/or reporting options would help you and your team work in Planner? Any specific scenarios would help contextualize our thinking around this.

Thank you for your involvement and feedback!

Cheers, 

Joanna Parkhurst, Planner PM

28 Replies

I think a nice timeline/roadmap view would be great. I was actually thinking about using Planner for my team's roadmapping but I honestly don't have a great overall view other than the main planner page which is OK not great.

Planner 'could' be a perfect place to develop and track OKR's for our organization and teams, however there is no task progress indicators other than just being "in progress".  

For each task in a Plan, there could be a percentage of progress reported based upon how many sub-items/checklist items have been completed.

Custom title/name fields would allow for use in this was as well.

It is always a Challenge to get users to actually utilize the tools they already have access to within O365, small changes like this aid in that adoption.  We pay more for 3rd party vendor tools than what we pay for 365 E5 accounts...... Please help Stop the Madness! :)

Exposing Planner API as an Odata endpoint to enable reporting in Power BI would be powerful. We currently use Planner to run our meeting agendas, manage tasks for our team huddles, manage tasks for our goal activities, launch new products plus many more. Ability to customize Power Bi reports against these plans will allow us to measure task execution health of our teams. PRICELESS!
Having a unified Chart view of all Plans related to the Teams will be awesome. We have the ability to create multiple Plan within a Microsoft Teams but we have no way to get the overall view since every single plan has his own chart view.
Is there any version optimized for Mobile forecasted so that i can fit into the pocket ? I use a Lumia 950XL + 1520 (one in each pocket) and jointly when i need a bigger screen + ClipboardX to share Clipboard. PS: Bigger screen with Continuum is mainly for demo to share data to an audience ...
Is there any version optimized for Mobile forecasted so that i can fit into the pocket ? I use a Lumia 950XL + 1520 (one in each pocket) and jointly when i need a bigger screen + ClipboardX to share Clipboard. PS: Bigger screen with Continuum is mainly for demo to share data to an audience ...
Is there any version optimized for Mobile forecasted so that it can fit into the pocket ? I use a Lumia 950XL + 1520 ("one in each pocket") and jointly when i need a bigger screen + ClipboardX to share Clipboard. PS: Bigger screen with Continuum is mainly for demo to share data to an audience ...

I have what I think is a very cool idea for my team at least.  We are using checklists a LOT and love that technology.  In the background in the List Tasks function we are pulling tasks and by way of checklist items completed versus created we are creating a percentage of task complete. 

I was using Pivot Tables in excel based on all the data I can output from Connector and the CSV output to One Drive and then I tie all that data together in Excel.  I will try and attach sample here.  However, I can only output 400 items from the Preview Connector for Planner in Flow - not sure why the 400 item limit exists.

Last update of Planner however changed the order of columns in the CSV output so that is a pain.  If you look at the PIVOT table tab in the attached you'll see what I'm up to.  It is very handy for me for a staff of 11 to be able to see what everyone is working on with this PIVOT. 

My best to you and your team - Planner keeps getting better and better - it would be nice to apply a time estimate or an effort rating to each task.  We use labels for priority weighting already.

Cheers,

Tim Grim  tim.grim@genexservices.com

Sean I did devise a way to do the % complete based on checklist items.  That data does exist in what you can output via the Planner Preview connector in Flow.

Are you doing that with the assumption the tasks are close to equally weighted in either effort or duration and doing a straight up # tasks complete / total # of tasks?

As we create the checklist items - trying to split them equally since there is no time or effort fields yet.  Those would be really nice to have in addition.  Or the ability to pull items from the checklist name value - I have not seen a way in the connector to do that yet in Task Details.  Only description is available so far.

I would really love to see direct integration into PowerBI.  The ability to dashboard progress is highly desired.

A few challenges with the reporting that could be solved relatively easily (I hope)

• Allow FILTERS to control the BUCKET chart (e.g. by assignee/label, etc)
  • Allow inclusion of 'completed' in the bucket chart (for period to period comparison)
  • Enable Filters to select based on the descriptions, checklists, or labels, in addition to titles.
  • Increase the number of 'labels' (or allow ad-hoc "tags" and tag-clouds)

This would let the basic bucket/assignee chart become much more powerful.

A couple of simple things...

Let each individual of the team custom arrange the bucket priority and not affect other user views

- supervisor for bucket A wants theirs to show first but supervisor for bucket K wants it to show first.

Let an individual hide a bucket - in cases where bucket is not relevant to that member

This right here is what I was coming to ask for

@Joanna Parkhurst 

The ability to generate custom reports or at least the ability to generate a report of completed tasks by user. 

@Joanna Parkhurst 

Hoping you can enhance the "Charts" view to make it dynamic and change according to the filters.  This helps during regular report outs.

And to have a chart on labels, too, aside from Status and Buckets charts. Thank you.