Teams, Projects, Planner and SharePoint

Copper Contributor

Hi there,

im not quite getting it:

I have created an Office365 Group, which leads to a Plan for that Group. So far so good.

When i set-up a Projectsite in SharePoint, there seems to be no way to connect the Planner plan to the Project-plan in the Teamsite.

Furthermore: When i expand the Group to a Team, Plans added in each Channel are neither visible in the Planner, nor on the Projectsite in SharePoint. Each Team get its own private Group-Site in SharePoint, that can not be customized.

Where is the connection? Groups have Teams, Teams are working on Projects, Projects have to be planned.

Currently im working on a Project in a Team with internal and external Users. Microsoft Teams is not ready to add externals to Teams (yet?). So when i want to work in a Team with my internal mates, the external guys wont see any plans, files and so on.

What am i missing? Can someone help me out?

Kind Regards Christian

10 Replies
IMO Teams is not ready for real primetime use. You arent missing anything, how you described everything is exactly how everything works right now. I would stick completely with Groups at this point for your project.
Agree, now is more reasonable to work with Groups and Planner...

Hi there,

i understand that neither Teams nor Planner is in a usable state because things are not brought together.

eg. Tasks from Planner are neither shown in Outlook not in the mysite successor Delve (which does'nt show any Task). Even the SharePoint GroupSite (https://fqdn/sites/groupname) is kind of a Joke but that's off Topic.

Thank you Brent and Juan Carlos for your Answers.

I'll see how i will solve that.

Best wishes for the Holidays from a disappointed Christian

Hi Christian,

I echo your disappointment with the lack of connectivity between the services but as said previously they are still maturing right now.

I would say that groups + Planner on it's own works quite well and if you go to the "Planner Home" which I feel is a pretty good replacement for MyTasks if you're wanting to just look at tasks assigned to you from different plans.

Hopefully in the future there should be some availability to add a web part or planner embed into a SharePoint page which will help in some use cases.

The whole Team Channels Planner Plan issue though definitely needs resolving. They need to be correctly surfaced.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of Apps4.Pro Planner which appears to bring together tasks from various places? Doesn't provide what is really needed, which is tasks properly integrated across everthing in Office 365, but maybe an interim solution?

I haven't used it for ages not since it was in development. The Product was good even with limited functionality but it does look like they've improved things further.

Their main guy Santosh you'll see messaging around here quite a bit and he's very approachable and easy going. so if you wanted a Demo or to talk about a Trial I'm sure he'd be open to that.

Internally we don't use Planner that much because we usually do bigger projects that require something a bit more robust (project online) and the people who do use it are fine using the planner "home" as the hub for their task management.

Hi @Stuart Bruce,  if you want to integrate tasks from various sources in Office 365 such as SharePoint, Planner, Outlook and Wunderlist you need to try Apps4.Pro Tasks which is in beta and can be activated from Office Store. 

https://store.office.com/apps4-pro-email-task-manager-planner-spo-project-WA104380643.aspx?assetid=W...

For deeper Planner integration with Outlook you can install the Outlook add-in 

http://apps4.pro/planner.aspx

It potentially looks good so I've installed a trial of Planner and the beta of Tasks. Alhough, in retrospect should have waited for the trial as probably not going to do much with it over Christmas!

I can extend the trial license for you :) Please PM me your email address.
In about one or two weeks, you will be able to get a SharePoint Online App part in the Office Store. Are familiar with the iPlanner Pro Outlook Add-in for the Planner ? you will get the same functionality - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APEetvShr3A