Task owner and observer (and respective notifications)

Copper Contributor

Dear Microsoft Planner Team,

we use MS Planner in our company for quite some time but are facing a major and frustrating bump in the road.

We are in desperate need of two different roles on a single task:

Owner
The one responsible for a single task. This person is responsible for progress and deadlines and pushes the involved people. He/she is informed about every change by e-mail and push. I can imagine edge cases, where two or more owners are needed, default should be one.

Observer
This is are people, that get all task notifications similar to the owner, but are clearly marked as non-responsible. (could be involved peers, supervisors, mentors or other team members)

The key is, that both roles receive task-based notifications on due dates, comments, attachments or any other change ‒ without the need of commenting first.

In shifting task-related communication from e-mail to planner, so all important information is in one shared place, this is the one key issue. Without task-based notifications we are simply not able to use planner in a meaningful way. These issues where mentioned and discussed often in this community and in uservoice.

There are two work-arounds to be sure, people get updates: Everyone getting all notifications on a complete plan or separately informing the involved people via a team message or e-mail.

I think it is obvious, that both of these ways are neither meaningful nor practical.

I hope this makes clear, how important this is for us users. In fact, without this change, we might be forced to use a different software.

Kind regards
Jürgen

4 Replies
We really need an improved notification functionality where only Owner (could be the one who created the Task) can send remarks/updates to only the Person(s) who are assigned to the Task (and not the whole team attached to the Plan and the way around. And if cause that the Task owner/Creater are informed when a Task change status - e.x to “Solved”. I was really surprised when I realised this basic functionality was not included in Planner. Hope I will a reallity soon !!
Reg Klaus
Thanks Klaus,
As you point out, it is basic functionality to be able to inform the people related to a task reliably without bothering the whole team.
Do we know if there is any progress on this issue in the upcoming release of the new Planner?
This is much needed functionality to be able to share progress, discuss and collaborate on tasks easily and efficiently, and still have someone as responsible for a particular task.
No news so far. We are left with a half baked solution with broken communication funtionality and poor ownership implementation. We, for our part, have made the switch away from planner.