SOLVED

Single task to be done by multiple users

Iron Contributor

With Microsoft Planner, we can add multiple people to a single task, but if anyone of them marks it as complete the whole task will be marked as complete.

But I would like to assign a task to my team which each of them needs to complete individually and I would like to keep a track of who has completed and who has not. Is this possible?

31 Replies

@kknuist 

Sorry - should be: will the system alert team members.

@Anwesh Gangula I do this all the time. I create the task and then assign all the users. Then-in the checklist portion of the card, I add the names of the people that are assigned and they mark ONLY their name off when they have completed their portion. Only the owner of the task can mark the actual task complete. It requires some training and monitoring, but it has been working successfully for me for a few months now. I attached a screen shot for reference.

@triciamcquarrie 

Thank you!  I will give that a try!

@Anwesh Gangula 

I would love this feature. At the moment there isn't much about MS Teams that works well for me at all - too many features that haven't been implemented or even thought of and it doesn't tie up well to many other MS apps. Other products out there do this so much better. 

Struggling with the fact that I can't do something like @msgroup @ team @ distribution list @ channel

@triciamcquarrie Not a practical solution for 120+ Store Managers but good to know.

Two problems with this method:
1. now you have to type out each person's name in the checklist (and spell them correctly) rather than adding users (using partial names and having the rest fill in for you); and
2. you still have to count on everyone not to accidentally mark the whole task complete for everyone. You need to tell them to bypass the normal way of marking a task as complete and ask them to use the software as it wasn't intended to be used. I think the real issue is why this simple and necessary feature was omitted.
Is there a template for this on power automate? If so, what's the name?
This functionality is what our team needs also. As a Manager, there are many tasks that one assigns to the team where each team member needs to complete and report on their assigned task individually. Hard to believe this was not one of the first stories written for the Task Application. I cannot think of an example where a manager or team lead would ever want to assign a task to their team and have one team member mark the task complete for all team members. Could someone explain the thought process behind this functionality?

@triciamcquarrie 

What if you have a dozen people to assign the task to?

@triciamcquarrie 

Only the owner of the task can mark the actual task complete. 

How does the owner of the task do this?