SOLVED

Planner feature progress?

Bronze Contributor

I was very excited to see a "light" project management tool from Microsoft and I like that they are pushing out minimal products. I have to say that I was hoping for faster product evolution. I don't mind the card motif (a la Trello), but need to be able to work with a LIST of tasks. There are a lot of requested features out there that are not seeing the light of day.

We are embracing Teams and the Planner is the integration we are looking for most. Does anyone have insight (or link to a post) as to what we can expect in the next 6-12 months from Planner?  The call of BaseCamp is rising again but I remain hopeful that Planner evolves and grows up in 2017!

Rob.

32 Replies
I agree with your post here: we have not seen great innovations in Planner for many weeks (and even months)...and sincerely, I think is going to be difficult to get this roadmap information you would like to receive
I agree

Planner's slow progress as a product is definitly concerning. There is a ton of potentail that's simply not being reached and I'm wondering if Microsoft is simply not putting enough resources behind it at this time.

• Why can't I archive cards, lists or boards yet? Only being able to permanently delete content is a good way to ensure a product never gets adopted 
  • Still limited to one checklist per card
  • Should be allowed to assign more than one person to a card when necessary
  • Additonal controls of Plan themes and boards would be nice to have
  • More mobile support

@Alex Henry wrote:

Planner's slow progress as a product is definitly concerning. There is a ton of potentail that's simply not being reached and I'm wondering if Microsoft is simply not putting enough resources behind it at this time.

• Why can't I archive cards, lists or boards yet? Only being able to permanently delete content is a good way to ensure a product never gets adopted 
  • Still limited to one checklist per card
  • Should be allowed to assign more than one person to a card when necessary
  • Additonal controls of Plan themes and boards would be nice to have
  • More mobile support

Shoot, they haven't even figured out notifications yet. You either have the choice of no notifications, or the firehose of subscribing to the Group and seeing everything.

I'm guessing it's just a really small team, but to not even see small incremental changes...

It's hard to support a product that appears to be dead.

true, development slowed down significantly. While other areas still get regular refinements, newer products somehow go from "promising preview" to "GA" very fast and then it comes to a crawl. Of course we have now way to get a feeling for the initial development time to "preview" to get a better feeling for the speed of development. 

Products that followed the above feeling for me are

• Office 365 Video
    • being merged with Stream - no time line available
  • Delve
    • got a few refinements for profile editing
    • MyAnalytics for E5 might be a "bigger" thing, though most users won't get it
  • Planner
    • nothing major since GA
  • Sway
    • here and there a few refinements and templates
  • StaffHub
    • might be to early to judge

it almost looks like the development teams are stretched thin and a working multiple of these projects, only one at time gets major pushes down the road.

Search "planner" on the roadmap and you'll see a number of items listed. However, I'll also note I've been checking this page frequently over the last 4 months and haven't seen any changes.

https://fasttrack.microsoft.com/roadmap 

best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Thank you everyone for your feedback and interest!

I can reassure you that we hear your feedback and are actively working to develop and ship features that you have mentioned here and on UserVoice. We are also working on making Planner a more beautiful and seamless experience across O365 workloads.

I am presenting the latest developments for Planner and the updated roadmap at Ignite Australia on February 15, and the session content will be publically available shortly thereafter. Please continue to give feedback here and UserVoice, as I promise you we all see it!

Appreciate the acknowledgment! Will the session be available here or at Ch9?
My pleasure! I'm not exactly sure, but I'll do my best to link to it here when it's available.
It should be available through Ignite site
Glad to hear this. With Trello purchase Atlassian is becoming very viable alternative to a lot of what you offer but I am hoping lots of good stuff is coming out soon :) Looking forward to your session.

@Dave Heller, hope you had nice presentation today at Microsoft Ignite AU. Can you post the roadmap slide/screenshot alone if possible?. The videos are not up in Channel 9. Much eager to know to the developments in Planner :).

+1 for this request :) I would like to have this fresh presentation for a session I have to do in some weeks about Planner and Groups

I see the placeholder for the recording, but unfortunately no video yet.  I am very eager for the recording to be posted. 

https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Ignite/Australia-2017/PROD224a 

Thanks! The session went well :)

The session slides and audio will be available on the Channel 9 site in the upcoming days.

It's on the way!
Great!
Thanks. Waiting eagerly to know the Planner roadmap.

We have been "frozen" by the release of Planner. We had been mid-way into an evaluaiton of SmartSheet, which is great in some ways but maybe overly complicated, and put that on hold with the prospects of Planner. Alas, it is so slow coming. I am thinking to pick up Asana or maybe other task tools that plugin to Outlook. We are not particularly looking for Trello-like experience, more like a Basecamp which I don't know if Planner will ever get close.

Open to thoughts,

Rob.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Thank you everyone for your feedback and interest!

I can reassure you that we hear your feedback and are actively working to develop and ship features that you have mentioned here and on UserVoice. We are also working on making Planner a more beautiful and seamless experience across O365 workloads.

I am presenting the latest developments for Planner and the updated roadmap at Ignite Australia on February 15, and the session content will be publically available shortly thereafter. Please continue to give feedback here and UserVoice, as I promise you we all see it!

View solution in original post