Planner Comments Notifications Resolved

Brass Contributor

Just created what i believe is a highly effective method to ensure Planner Comment Notifications work seamlessly. We're all familiar with the challenge of comments getting overlooked, especially when staff members haven't previously engaged with a particular task. My new Power Automate solution addresses this issue by sending emails (or you can switch to Teams if preferred) to everyone assigned to a task whenever a comment is posted. The email includes the comment itself and a link to the corresponding task. To adhere to best practices, I created the automation in my user account but set it up to automatically send from an admin@ account. This step isn't mandatory but is recommended, especially if you anticipate commenting on numerous tasks yourself as the automation "owner".

Comment Notification.png

Planner Task Comment View.png

I've uploaded a brief 20-second video demonstrating the functionality. I'd appreciate likes and comments, and I'm more than willing to share the solution. This automation is part of a larger course/solution package I'm developing. Other upcoming features include automatic assignment of unique project codes (you can catch a glimpse of it in the video), auto-assignment of staff based on labels (for instance, if your yellow label is labeled Marketing, it automatically assigns everyone in marketing when used), and more.

I'm eager to hear your thoughts on the comment notification solution; I believe it's one of the most visually appealing solutions available. If want to access the comment notification just @mention me in the comments below.

9 Replies

Dear Matthew,
I really appreciate your approach and would be very interested to know how you have implemented this solution.

Thank you

Pino

@MatthewJamesDavis

@MatthewJamesDavis 

I would love to see the automation for how you did this, comments in planner have been one of the biggest pain points without a proper @ system and i havent seen a way to trigger a flow when a comment is entered

Here is the step by step guide on how to do this yourself! No sign up required, simply open up the attached PDF or click the link below. Appreciate feedback :lol:

Microsoft Planner Task Comment Notification Flow (Step by Step Guide).

Thanks all,

Matt

No More Bad Mondays

Hi Pino, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Was taking a break over the holidays. 

Here is the step by step guide on how to do this yourself! No sign up required, simply click the link below to open or check out my reply to the original post as i've attached the PDF. Appreciate feedback :lol:

Hi John814, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Was taking a break over the holidays. 

Here is the step by step guide on how to do this yourself! No sign up required, simply click the link below to open or check out my reply to the original post as i've attached the PDF. Appreciate feedback :lol:

@MatthewJamesDavis please revisit step 29, it will not accept your formula in the expression field.
I'm having the same problem. I've tried to change the parametres in the expression but I couldn't make it work. When using @MatthewJamesDavis expression it says it is not valid, and the expression I'm trying to use: split(split(outputs('Get_a_thread_post')?['body/body/content'],'[https://tasks.office.com/X/Home/Task/')[0],'?Type=Comment')[1] goes through but fails when trying it.
Does somebody know how to make it work?
Thanks in advance.
Hi Matthew,
I am following the manual steps and I cannot copy/paste expressions. Can you please provide any feedback how can this be done?
Thank you in advance!
I have the same issue with step 29.
Could you provide help to fix this?