Plan with around 200 buckets is very slow

Copper Contributor

Hi,

We have a plan with around 200 buckets.

Planner is performing very slow lately and the more buckets we add the slower it becomes.  

The performance is more or less the same in Chrome and Edge.

I understand that in theory, a Plan can have as many buckets as possible.

Is there something on our end? Our internet connection is 100 Mbps and our PCs rather new.

Thank you in advance. 

Much appreciated.

6 Replies
200 buckets......
Hi Christopher and thank you for your constructive comment.
Much appreciated.
Sorry, I just couldn't imaging 200 buckets on a plan, that's crazy! Is this actual buckets, or a view of like Assigned to buckets? I'd be curious myself what Microsoft Tested in terms of bucket support for performance.
Hi Christopher,

Yes, 200 actual buckets, the one next to the other :)

Before we started using Planner, we made a bit of a research and we saw that there is no limitation in terms of the number of buckets. We assumed that being a Microsft product it wouldn't have a problem handling 200 buckets. From your reaction, I understand that this may not be the case :)

For our business, it makes sense to have one bucket for each client that we assist with certain projects. It definitely does not make sense to have 200 Plans (i.e. one for each customer).

Any suggestions?

I still prefer doing my real task management in SharePoint lists because you can make it do anything you want easily. Planner is good for quick little task mockup's or tracking, i wouldn't use it for long term management of anything or something so broad, but that's just me. 

Mmm...how are you able to deal with a single plan for all your customers? I could think on having a Plan per customer, but If I understand correctly this means that you would probably need 200 Plans that can be problematic from a follow up point of view...while I could agree this kind of scenarios could be managed with SPO lists, there are other Microsoft Products that are better suited for this...I can particularly think on two:
(1) Project Online
(2) PSA in Dynamics 265. PSA is a very, very new product and it can be a challenge to adopt it