Permissions within Planner

Brass Contributor

I had an inquiry from a colleague asking if there is a way to restrict members of a plan to where they can't create buckets or move tasks around in different orders.  I think there is an interest in having some members have read only access to look at the tasks in a plan and others who have access to create buckets and move tasks around.  Is this possible or on the roadmap?

38 Replies
Sorry, but we don't have these features in Planner Today
As Juan said there is no way for this now because Planner uses Office 365 groups and you cannot define user roles here.

Thanks for the quick responses.  It was a long shot on this request I realized.

Does anyone have news about plans for this implementation?
Sorry, no news!

Any further updates on this feature?

Also, any updates on access for only one bucket on a plan?

More than 2 years and this feature still not implemented? how come?

It is frustrating for sure. No word. No feedback.
Not having the option to restrict access is a shame. I would be able to use Planner on a larger scale and bring others into it, if I had the ability to restrict their access to only the items they are assigned to. Two reasons: 1) other people's items are none of their business, 2) I need them to focus, so loading a page with a few hundred items on it is too overwhelming, when really I just want the person to focus on the 3 or 4 that pertain to them.
I feel you, but make sure people use their personal planner view where that only see their assigned tasks( from all plans they are member of )
This is on the left menu under ... -> planner

This can also be attached directly to the app list by using app policies!

Also if people use ToDo, their assigned planner tasks can also be integrated here!

Both options make only people’s assigned tasks visible

@CJ Reed 

I found a solution to the read only situation!

If you make your plan public, you can simply send the url to someone and it will give them read only access. The only downside to making it a public plan is that anyone with the url can see the plan, but for us its a workable solution.

@adam deltinger 

You're assuming I have administrative rights for the app itself. I only have control over my individual plans. 

No, not really

@Nick_V635 I was attempting this as I too share the same concern. I was able to close/Complete tasks. Could you share your process in doing this?

Gezu is this still not implemented!?!? What a poor maintenance... this app has got potential but without basic functionality Microsoft developers make it useless!!

@ArekR88 I'm doing some alpha testing on it but it may be possible to set up restrictions by utilizing powerapps. you build your tasks through planner but present the tasks to the users using powerapps by using the planner connector in powerapps. from there you could provide which fields they have access to edit per task and delegate who has permissions to create tasks. Granted this will be a lot of work compared to other 3rd party solutions but it would be more flexible to getting exactly what you want. 

@laminblake very interesting to read about this approach. Have you succeeded in your "alpha" tests?

@laminblake I'm interested in this approach as well.  I need to create a method for users to submit a request (task) but not assign it or modify it once it is submitted.

@laminblake that's great but it's a workaround. They should be implementing this basic feature from the beginning.