Migrate from Trello to Planner?

Silver Contributor

Does anyone know of a way to export data from Trello and import into Planner?

We have a business unit that has been using Trello, but we want to shift them into Planner, but they have a good history of information in Trello that would need to be saved.

22 Replies
I guess this is something you have to cook by yourself using Trello and Graph APIs

Hi @Brent Ellis, Have you tried Apps4.Pro Planner for this? Export the data from Trello as csv and Import it in Planner. http://apps4.pro/planner.aspx

Hi @Brent Ellis, Have you tried Apps4.Pro Planner for this? Export the tasks from Trello as csv and Import it to Planner. http://apps4.pro/planner.aspx

Export / Import tasks to a Plan using Apps4.ProExport / Import tasks to a Plan using Apps4.Pro

Of course, I have forgotten that you can also look for third party apps such as Apps4.Pro :)

Inorder to export a .CSV from Trello, you have to own Trello Business Class. The only export option other than that is JSON. 

Hi @JohnnyLopez @Brent Ellis,

We have released the new version of the Apps4.Pro Planner Manager today which allows you to import Trello JSON in to Planner to create Plans and Tasks. Please download, try and share your feedback.

http://www.jijitechnologies.com/blogs/apps4pro-planner-manager-v2100-release

Have we found a workaround so that we don't have to pay for a third party application?

What was the work around you found? especially since Trello are looking to charge now@Paul Boat 

@Juan Carlos González Martín @Brent Ellis I integrated this in my open source tool called: Modern Workplace Concierge. You can import a trello board to Microsoft Planner: https://github.com/nicolonsky/ModernWorkplaceConcierge/wiki/Migrate-trello-tasks-to-Microsoft-Planne...

The tool uses the Microsoft Graph API.

@nicolonsky, @Juan Carlos Gonzélez Martin and @Brent Ellis -> thank you million times for this peace of exellence! - where is the beer and pizza button?

@indizio glad that you like the tool. There's a donate button on the GitHub project with a paypal link if you want to offer me a pizza, beer or coffe :stareyes: (highly appreciated).

@Brent Ellis  You posted this a long time ago so I'll guess you don't need this any longer, but I just needed this now and exporting from Trello to JSON is so painful, so I came up with an alternate way. Flow (now called PowerAutomate) has a Trello connector with a trigger for "when new Trello cards are created". I wrote a quick Flow with that trigger which then takes the variables from the newly-created Trello card and creates a Planner Plan task.  While this doesn't initially appear helpful for previously-created Trello boards, actually, once the Flow is set up, simply duplicate a Trello list (copy and paste) and Flow sees the 'new' (duplicate) cards and new cards and will thus recreate each card in Planner.  I got fancy and used the "List Buckets" and "Create Bucket" modules in Flow to duplicate the Trello lists of cards to the appropriate buckets in my target Planner Plan.  See below for Flow step details - mine is longer b/c I am preserving the Trello lists as Planner buckets, but in essence, this Flow only needs the Trello trigger and the bottom two 'create task' and 'edit task' modules to work.

Sadly, Flow has access to several variables from Trello cards (card title, description, due date, comments, attachments, etc.) but (disappointingly) the only things it can add to a Planner Task are title, description, bucket, and due date.  Therefore, Trello card attachments, comments, and owners cannot be added to Planner Tasks via Flow (yet).  These items may be added to the Description field in the resulting Planner task, but I’m guessing that will be very ugly and not helpful.

Hope this helps!

trellowtoplanner.png

Hi Brent,
Is it possible to have a better version of the graph? I can't properly read it. Thx.

Hello there @Andrew Connell, is there another copy of your flow I could see? Or is it broken down in steps anywhere? The attached picture in your comment is too small for me to read on my laptop, and I can't see the pieces of the flow properly. Thank you for your time!

@MichealGarcea You click on the image shared by @Andrew Connell and then use the 'Download' button on the image viewer. I was able to download it and expand it in Windows image viewer. 

@Brent Ellis Thanks to this group I was able to create cards from Trello list to Planner bucket using PowerAutomate. Here is the flow. 

@gracelurzano I'm trying to build the flow you have shared. I'm stuck when trying to add a List ID from the dynamic content. Any suggestions?

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 10.46.02 AM.png

@olivierlord make sure you are iterating in the body to get the List ID value

gracelurzano_0-1631854602632.png