Link Outlook calander to resources in project

Copper Contributor

Hi Guys,

Relatively knew to project planner so apologies if this is obvious.

I'm wondering if it is possible to set project up so that it can pull from a resources outlook calendar to project to show conflicts?

For example if a resource has a meeting or holiday set using their outlook calendar, when they are assigned a new task/project in Microsoft project, on the same day/s, it will show as a conflict and vice versa?

If not, has anyone got any best practices on how to go about this?

Thanks!

4 Replies

No, you can't do this unfortunately! You can sync the planner tasks to your outlook as a internet calendar but this is a separate calendar. The activity in the calendar is also per day, not time so nothing here would really help your cause!

I'll try figure something out..For so long I guess the team should share their calendar with at least free/busy or more for everyone to keep track before assigning someone a task in Planner

Thanks Adam!

Our business has just moved to project so just trying to figure out the most efficient ways for everyones workflows.

Any knowledge on how you or other companies keep track of resource holidays, meetings etc when assigning projects/task to them or vise versa? 

It’s a very common question I hear! But afaik there is no good way of doing resource planning at all! For that you need to use for example ms project, but that’s a bit over powered for smaller planning projects and so on!
Planner is not well suited for resoure planning...if you need that, you have to go to Project + Project Online and you could even fit some limitations there so you might have a look to Dynamics PSA that is a more complete resources planning platform in the Microsoft ecosystem