SOLVED

Limit planner access

Brass Contributor

My goal is to use a planner just with a group of individuals in my organisation, while others should not access the planner. I would like to deliver access to the planner via MS Teams.

I appreciate that the planner currently does not allow for access management by using permissions. I can find conversations about this feature that dates yrs back. so I assume this is on the backlog, but not yet in the roadmap.

I also see many conversations about the inability to add the planner to a private channel via MSTeams. 

What is the community doing about planners that need to be limited to some users in the organisation, yet shared with some?

the only way I can see out of this is to create a new dedicated team to handle a planner. Is there a more efficient way?

Thanks

13 Replies
best response confirmed by Rui Cabral (Brass Contributor)
Solution
As of now, a planner Plan is tied to a Office 365 group, which means that everyone in this group (team) can access it! Either you create teams based on who will have access to the plan or you use a website tab to paste the url from another plan into any channels of a team used today. Only the members in that team that also are members of that other teams plan will have access.

You can create sub plans in a team and add different ones in the channels but these are indeed accessible to all members

Adam
This really limits the utility of this app. Any changes coming?
Are there any updates to this changing- we also need to limit views of planner tasks- and really would not want to create a teams just to be able to use planner for 2 users - I would literally need to create 12 teams so the head of the group can assign tasks that others cannot see on the team- as they are highly confidential tasks-any thing on roadmap? thanks
We need this badly. This should be basic in any 365 product.
Please enable something along these lines. Every time I start thinking about using Planner more broadly, I hit this wall. I need a planner that is shared just between members of a channel, not the whole Teams group (eg managers). And like the others, don't want to create a bunch of teams for this one purpose AND don't want the information fully accessible to the whole organisation. Is there anything on the radar here?
yes we need this as well- this really limits us using Planner- so we have been using Lists instead but wish we could just use Planner! hope this is being considered? thanks

@eromerommc I also thought about lists - but too complicated (for me/us) to set up things like the automatic notification when a list item has been "assigned" to a user.  I also haven't delved deeply enough into list permissions to fully understand them, but they do seem confusing in their own way.  Also, all those benefits of linking Planner tasks with other tasks in To Do is a huge benefit which Lists also doesn't provide.  

That issue of building everything around Groups (Teams) rather than channels - so many apps and add-ons can't be installed in a private/shared channel.  Very frustrating.

:)

Yes agree, that it makes it more complex- As I have been able to get notifications going but now have to rely on a Power Automate to send out notifications to end users - and there is some built in reminders you can use out of the box in Lists - the permissioning part is not that bad- you can actually stop inheriting the permissions from Lists- so are not necessarily tied to the 0365 group- and you can also add others that are not part of the overall site permissions - so in that sense it was my only option lol

but again agree does require some set up time then to simply use a tool that would work for us like planner but unfortunately it's all or nothing right now with Planner as you also posted :) let's hope MS is looking at this post and maybe will chime in best, L
I, too, really want to begin using Planner in my organization, but the fact that everyone listed in the project can change it keeps me from using it. Like another respondent said above, there are some tasks I don't need my employees to see or change. Plus, allowing everyone to add a task is annoying because I have an employee who would create tasks for every little thing piece of work performed. As the owner & manager of my business, I don't want to fool around with other apps like Power Automate.

@Rui Cabral I am in the same predicament and can see that this has still not been resolved. Microsoft Teams Should Enable Private Channel Task Planner!

We kindly request that Microsoft enables Task Planner in private channels to enhance task management and promote secure teamwork. Let's work together for this improvement. #EnableTaskPlannerInPrivateChannels #MicrosoftTeams. 

And just like that, everyone switches over to Monday! LOL

https://monday.com
@Rui Cabral I am in the same predicament and can see that this has still not been resolved. Microsoft Teams Should Enable Private Channel Task Planner, or that some tasks should only be seen and edited by selected stakeholders (privacy per task)

We kindly request that Microsoft enables Task Planner in private channels to enhance task management and promote secure teamwork.
#EnableTaskPlannerInPrivateChannels #MicrosoftTeams.

@Rui Cabral 

There is a way to provide and limit MS Planner access by linking it to a Microsoft 365 group. Create a Microsoft 365 group and add members to the group that you want to have access to the planner. It's recommended that Planner access by tied to an MS 365 group you make instead of tying access to a TEAMS channel. This is because it's easier to manage when you need to remove or add people.

I will be saving an MS Planner in our General Folder of our TEAMS channel hub-this makes my calendar sharable since it's not in a private channe sharable since it's not in a private channel However, I'll add the new blank calendar to an MS365 group, and this keeps members of the TEAMS General channel from accessing it.  

NewPlanner-Add to Existing Group.png

Here's a link to the LinkedIn Learning 5 minute Video: Create an Outlook Group Plan (this shows how to grant access to a Planner based on Members in a group. This video is one of a series in a Linkedin Learning course called: Microsoft Planner Essential Training.

https://www.linkedin.com/learning-login/share?account=78580938&forceAccount=false&redirect=https%3A%...

Somewhere in this Linkedin Learning training, there's a video called: "Assign Non-Members to a Task" that shows how to assign a person to a task who is not a member of the MS365 group, and how they will only be able to view that task, and no others within that plan! This is why associating a Planner Plan to a MS 365 group of members is exactly how to overcome this dilemma everyone is speaking to.

https://www.linkedin.com/learning-login/share?account=78580938&forceAccount=false&redirect=https%3A%...

As far as creating tasks that not everyone in the Planner group can see, and you only want certain members within a Group to see a specific task, I bet there's a way if you have your plan tied to an MS 365 group where you can assign access to specifc members within that group-however, I'm unsure. If I find out, I'll respond again here.

--Iset Todayah Sevilla-Bazan

Financial_Strategy_Boss @ Oregon State University

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Rui Cabral (Brass Contributor)
Solution
As of now, a planner Plan is tied to a Office 365 group, which means that everyone in this group (team) can access it! Either you create teams based on who will have access to the plan or you use a website tab to paste the url from another plan into any channels of a team used today. Only the members in that team that also are members of that other teams plan will have access.

You can create sub plans in a team and add different ones in the channels but these are indeed accessible to all members

Adam

View solution in original post