Lack of structure around task permissions in Planner

Steel Contributor

Planner is super easy to use, in fact it's too easy. Nearly everyone I talk to about it in our org says that it doesn't work for them because anyone in the team/plan/group can create/edit/complete any task. The "Assign" function does nothing to control permissions to the task, it only controls who is nagged about it. Is this something that might change in time? Ideally, new settings like "Only Plan Owners can Create and Assign Tasks" and "Only Plan Owners and Assignees can Modify Tasks" would do the trick.

We have a number of departments who need a task management system with some level of control to it. Project is overkill (and an $89/user/year upcharge to them) and Planner is too basic. So, we're kind of left suggesting SharePoint Tasks Lists. Unfortunately, I've heard (on the Intrazone podcast) that they have no plans to "modernize" the Tasks List and may eventually replace it with Planner. 

2 Replies
Haven’t heard of this from the planner team afaik, so it’s probably not coming in the near future!

I’d recommend posting or voting on planner uservoice:

https://planner.uservoice.com/forums/330525-microsoft-planner-feedback-forum?query=Permission

Adam
Planner is an Office 365 service that is not evolving at the same pace other services are doing so we cannot expect a lot improvements in the service