SOLVED

How to manage recurring tasks in Planner?

Deleted
Not applicable

I would like to use Planner to monitor the implementation of an IT team's production plan. Indeed, a production plan is a set of planned tasks - not necessarily assigned to someone but rather to a team. These tasks are often recurring: daily (for example, checking backups) or monthly (deploying security patches).

I could not understand how I could introduce the notion of recurring task directly or indirectly into Planner. I eventually considered that the calendar of the team concerned could contain recurring events that could be transformed into tasks via FLOW.

But I didn't manage to get to the end of that idea.

Thank you for your help if you have already done so or have other ideas.

61 Replies
@rameshsingh: You can find the status at this link. They updated the due date today to March 2022. It appears Microsoft will continue kicking this much wanted item down the road indefinitely…

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=82028

This has becoming a recurring (running) joke@chrisarmstrong 

@rameshsingh 

It can be done with Power Automate, but it's clunky to set up, and has a crippling limitation for long-term tasks. The task must occur more often than once every 90 days or so or else it will automatically be stopped. This makes it useless for things like annual renewal reminders, for example.

This can be worked around by using more complex date evaluation logic, but that defeats the entire purpose, because it must be done for each task.

And of course, Microsoft could decide to discontinue the product at any time, so there's that.

You would think recurring tasks would be a high priority when Planner was created. It's now pushed to March and the timeline started last year. SMH!

This is become the typical norm. No seems to care about what the customers want or need. Microsoft has really gone down hill over the last decade. No following up on anything and pushing out products before they are ready.

That's because we are not the real customers. The real customers are Microsoft's shareholders, and every business decision is based entirely on how it affects stock prices. If they can bump the share price a bit by disappointing customers, they will do so. The only time customer concerns become a priority is when they get enough attention to affect stock prices. THEN it will be prioritized, not one second sooner.

I just realised that the aforementioned link (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=82028) does not work anymore. Does anyone have a working link for this roadmap item?

Still seems to be working for me. Microsoft's tendency to arbitrarily change UI to whatever flavor-of-the-month the marketing team is infatuated with might have something to do with it.

@rameshsingh The link is posted below. It currently states that it will release this month, March 2022. :crossed_fingers:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=82028 

It's been delayed since last year. I wouldn't be surprised if it was pushed back again.
This is very basic feature for planner, and surprise to see they even delaying since last year on this release.

@adam deltinger This was EXACTLY what I needed!  Thank you!  It is PowerAutomate now, and not labeled as FLOW in the MS Apps, but it is still the same thing.  Worked perfectly and didn't take too long on the first try.  Thank you!

@Renato Pereira - still don't have this in May 2022. w+@f.

Now it’s bumped to June… it appears this feature will not ever release. They will just continue to push it out a couple months at a time.

@chrisarmstrong 

Hi MS - Any update regarding the roll out of recurring tasks in Planner?

Ironic how a useful and desired feature like this keeps getting bumped back over and over, while a highly disruptive destructive change to AD attributes that benefits nobody is being rushed as fast as possible.

There are a ton of functional features that we all need, but MS seems to think we all care more about adding more emoticons... SMH! 

This item has no updates in the Admin message center and I can't find anything on it outside of the roadmap that now says June (still shows in development), and it's June 23rd.

They seriously need someone to take over the prioritization of features!  

Microsoft, this is disappointing. Should we look elsewhere for task management? Are recurring tasks that difficult to develop?