SOLVED

Group owner as global admin

Copper Contributor

Aloha! 

I am a global admin in our organization, and I'd like to be a group owner of all groups existing in our organization by default. Today, I tried deleting a plan in Planner but couldn't do it, since only the group owner is able to do so.

Any ideas?

Thanks Julius

4 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@OAGM-JU 

This is expected behavior. To delete a plan (or group), you should have been already added as owner of the group. You can't delete the plan without being a owner of the group even though you have Global Admin privilege.

Since you have global admin privilege,  you can easily add yourself as owner of the group using the Exchange Online powershell cmdlet Add-UnifiedGroupLinks and try again.

$userToAddOwner = "globaladmin@yourdomain.com"
Add-UnifiedGroupLinks –Identity "O365Group" –LinkType Owners –Links $userToAddOwner  

Thanks @kombaiah Murugan!

when using PowerShell I have to manually fill group name and user name such as. I was hoping to set a default, add my user as an owner to all groups created within my organization. 

Any idea?

@OAGM-JU 

You can try below script :

Get-UnifiedGroup -ResultSize Unlimited | ForEach-Object {
Add-UnifiedGroupLinks –Identity $_.Name –LinkType Owners –Links $userToAddOwner
}
Thanks! I have to send this to our IT, somehow I can not enable Exchange PowerShell on my computer, even though I am a global admin. Mahalo for your help!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@OAGM-JU 

This is expected behavior. To delete a plan (or group), you should have been already added as owner of the group. You can't delete the plan without being a owner of the group even though you have Global Admin privilege.

Since you have global admin privilege,  you can easily add yourself as owner of the group using the Exchange Online powershell cmdlet Add-UnifiedGroupLinks and try again.

Add-UnifiedGroupLinks –Identity "O365Group" –LinkType Owners –Links $userToAddOwner  

View solution in original post