Former members receive email notifications in planner even though they are not part of the group.

Copper Contributor
On my work 0365 account we have an ongoing situation where people who are no longer part of the group still receive email notifications even though we have removed them from the plan. It even happens for people who are no longer part of the organisation. There seems to be no way to update the planner email notifications to stop particualar users from receiving emails and it seems dumb to continue to send them for people who are no longer a member of the group. This is a planner group with 0365 user accounts.
16 Replies
Ey George: Is this still happening in your tenant?

I wonder what notifications do they get. Is it from the tasks they have been assigned to before? Maybe someone comments on such task or they have commented before. What if you remove such user from the task? I guess plan membership is only to provide access and notifications are not tied to membership. If that's the truth and this is by design, then i doubt it will change. Although MS did some overhaul on planner notifications recently. I would check planner's uservoice page and see if there are similar ideas posted and is MS considering to implement them. 

Hi All,

We have encountered the same issue.

An user who created the plan in a teams group was removed from the teams group. 

It is showing as "Former member" in the comments section for his name. But the recipients in the mail chain for every comments remains the same and he is getting the notification mails though he is not part of the Teams group as well as plan.

Please let us know how can we get rid of these mails. 

Thanks.

Have you reviewed Olegs post and looked if they where part of the conversation?

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your reply.

yes, it was the part of the conversation. As suggested by Olegs we could see unanswered posts in user voice regarding this. 

https://planner.uservoice.com/forums/330525-microsoft-planner-feedback-forum/suggestions/20094775-pr...

Would like to know if anyone knows workaround or fix to avoid former members receiving the mail notifications. 

Regards,

Arun

@george franks Is this still happening for you? We're starting to see this and I'm wondering if you ever came across a solution.

We are experiencing the same problem. I went to the User Voice site that you linked and voted it up. Thanks for sharing it.
I am encountering this same thing. I was the creator and now former member. Does anyone know if this has been fixed or if there is a work around?
Has anyone found a resolution to this issue?

@r_8a 

I am following this as I would like to know if there is a resolution to this as well.

It's still happening to us. Microsoft hasn't fixed it yet.

@Randall King  we are also encountering this issue which is a very problematic as it arises compliance issues.

With this behavior we cannot reassure that sensitive information won't be leaked out. The "need-to-know" principle is also affected this way.

I will open a MS support ticket, if I get some valid information, I will let you know.

We have this problem too.
Is there an updated UserVoice URL as I'm getting a 404 error on the one quoted by Arun in 2019.
Thanks
QW

@george franks 

Did you ever get this resolved? I created a whole load of tasks in my former team and have been removed from their planner but still getting email updates whenever someone comments. Its really frustrating as most of them repeat either every 6 months or year.