SOLVED

Why does Outlook ask me to log into Windows Search Protocol Host?

Iron Contributor

For about a week or so, whenever I bring up Outlook on my desktop, it always asks me to log into Microsoft Windows Search Protocol Host. Why is it doing that? It's never done that before. And why, even when I enter my credentials and click the checkbox "Remember my credentials", doesn't it remember my credentials? Here's a screen capture of what I'm talking about:

This always appears whenever I bring up OutlookThis always appears whenever I bring up Outlook

11 Replies
I've seen same issue reported on TechNet forums recently. Can't find it now, but there were no replies.

What exact version of Office 365? Is it personal or work account? Which Windows 10 version (Start > type winver > Enter, version in parentheses, e.g. 1809)?

@wrootI'm using Office 365 Home Edition. Concerning Windows 10, I'm using Windows 10 Professional, 64-bit. Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.475)

Office should also have a numerical version. File > Account. I guess some Office or Windows update caused that.

@wroot  Looking at Outlook, I have version 1904 (Build 11601.20144)

@wrootThis problem is only getting worse. Every time I get into Outlook, it always pops up that stupid Windows Search Protocol Host message. It has changed a bit, now it looks like this:

Notice the addition of MicrosoftAccountNotice the addition of MicrosoftAccount

Now, for whatever reason, it is showing MicrosoftAccount as if it were a domain I am logging into. Why is it doing that?????????????????????????????????

This has been going on for MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need help with this. If no one here can help, then who do I talk to about this?

You can try looking for a support phone number and call Microsoft.

Here it says this might be related to old Outlook profiles still present https://gcits.com/knowledge-base/remove-microsoft-windows-search-protocol-host-prompt/

There are more advices here https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/Lync/en-US/a0fba4ea-978a-4227-83bb-916c0d6179ab/microsof...

@wrootI have looked at the Mail (Microsoft Outlook 2016) (32-bit) applet within Control Panel. There is only 1 profile there. Should I delete that and try to recreate it? What happens if I delete the only profile I have in it? 

best response confirmed by Rod Falanga (Iron Contributor)
Solution
You will lose settings stored in that profile. And you will have to enter connection details and credentials again. Email shouldn't be affected. Some settings also could be stored on the server, at least in the case of Exchange.

@wrootHmmm, sounds like it could be a bit of a pain. Suppose I did delete the profile in the Control Panel's Mail app; will that get rid of this Windows Search Protocol Host window popping up?

I don't know. It might not help. Buy maybe it is worth trying. You won't lose that many settings this way.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Rod Falanga (Iron Contributor)
Solution
You will lose settings stored in that profile. And you will have to enter connection details and credentials again. Email shouldn't be affected. Some settings also could be stored on the server, at least in the case of Exchange.

View solution in original post