What OS and Outlook Version Combination Allows (1) OLM Import and (2) Search to Work??

Copper Contributor

Hello…

Desperate and desperately frustrated Outlook user seeking help. GREATLY appreciate fellow MS users and the MS staff answering questions, thank you!!  There is a post on topic at the MS Community Forum, however, the thread is *locked* and there is no post that addresses/answers the following question:

My question (with background following below): WHAT (1) MAC OS VERSION AND (2) OUTLOOK VERSION COMBINATION WILL PERMIT MY M1 MACBOOK AIR TO (A) IMPORT AN OLM FILE THAT (B) CAN BE INDEXED AND SEARCHABLE IN OUTLOOK??

I’m currently in *very concerning* limbo. More like purgatory…appreciate ANY help someone can give!!

I have seen other messages with fellow users similarly affected by search not working with combinations of (1) OS 12.X Monterey; (2) Latest/later versions of Outlook; and (3) MacBook Air M1/M2 computers. I am similarly.

My specifics and what I have tried…my new M1 MacBook Air came with Monterey OS 12.5.1 installed. On my old 2012 MacBook Pro running Mojave 10.14.6 and Outlook 16.54, I successfully exported an OLM file.

Hoping to simply be able to import the file into my new computer running the latest version of Outlook, I found out *the hard way* that there is *NO IMPORT OPTION* with the “new” Outlook. How or why this is the case, and why it hasn’t been resolved, I do not know.

So I erase and downgrade Outlook to a thread/webpage-suggested version 16.54 to allow me to import the OLM file on my new computer. The import *is successful*…great!! Then I find out as others have that the search function does *not work*…NOT great!! I can “find” emails that are are fresh exchange or IMAP (I think??) refreshed downloads from the server, however, I have 1000’s of important emails for business and family that I need to be able to access through search and they are all inaccessible.

So I come up with an idea…with the “older version” of Outlook’s search not working, I’ll just upgrade to the latest version of Outlook 16.64 or anywhere near there and use the “new improved search function” in the “new” Outlook. In selecting the little “turn on” new Outlook toggle, I get a message indicating that ALL of my “On My Computer” files cannot be migrated to/used in the new Outlook. That is: MY ENTIRE OLM IMPORT cannot be used. STRIKE THREE for me!! :(

I have read *seventeen pages* of attempts and hope and success and partial success and success only to revert back to failure at the “Outlook search not finding messages (has OS 12.1, MacBook Air, Office 2021)” thread. I have attempted various re-re-reinstalled of legacy Outlook versions! I WIPED my computer and downgraded from Monterey to Big Sur! I have indexed and re-indexed and re-re-indexed various combinations of folders and files and full drives. And I AM STUCK as others are…left to either (1) import the OLM file yet continue with 1000s of UNSEARCHABLE, unfindable emails or (2) be able to search all my emails…however, ONLY the ones that are fresh from the exchange server, NONE of the important historical information.

I greatly appreciate everyone’s time and assistance, and ask again as above:

WHAT (1) MAC OS VERSION AND (2) OUTLOOK VERSION WILL PERMIT MY M1 MACBOOK AIR TO (A) IMPORT AN OLM FILE THAT (B) CAN BE INDEXED AND SEARCHABLE IN OUTLOOK??

My current config is:

M1 Macbook Air running Big Sur 11.6.8 (wiped and downgraded from Monterey 12.5.1)

MS Outlook (and office) Version 16.59

OLM file *imported*

Search function *not* working

I have attempted full Office install/re-installs of 3 or 4 different versions. I have re-indexed and re-re-indexed Spotlight. I have wiped and re-imported my OLM file. And I *CANNOT* search the OLM file that I have imported into Outlook on my new machine.

Thank you everyone...and good luck to those in similar straits!!! :\

0 Replies