SOLVED

Users can no longer send from shared mailboxes in Outlook for iOS

Bronze Contributor

We had one of our users report that they are no longer able to send mail from a shared mailbox in Outlook for iOS. The mailbox is in Exchange Online. When they tap the button to compose a message with the shared mailbox open, they get an error dialog saying "Something went wrong. Please try again or contact support."

I gave myself "Send as" rights on a shared mailbox and tested it myself and I'm seeing the same thing. Neither Microsoft 365 Support nor Outlook Mobile Support have been any help. Anyone else seeing this issue or have any ideas about how to resolve?

23 Replies
Following as I had a colleague and student report the exact same issue. Fingers crossed a smart bean out there has an answer to this!

@Ryan Steele  We are having the same issue.. Following

We are facing the same issue here - the error also occurs when you try to reply/forward a message using the three dots below the date/time. Workaround for replying/forwarding is to not click on the dots but to use the buttons at the bottom of the screen.
Does someone have a workaround for composing new messages?
We are having the same issue also using the app, seems fine through a browser but I can't see an option to add a shared mailbox on the iphone through the browser.

As this only seem to affect shared mailboxes, our workaround is to switch to another mailbox (not the shared one) and click on the plus-sign to compose a new message. You are then able to choose another sender address in the next window (see at the top).

@vT Thank you for the workaround, this is helpful!

I'm working with both Microsoft 365 support and the Outlook Mobile in-app support on this. I have shared this thread with them, so hopefully that will help me get some traction.

This workaround does not work. I tried and looked at the email header from the test email I sent out to an external account. The "From:" address shows my primary SMTP address, not the shared mailbox/alias SMTP address that I had selected. If it should, then this is another bug.

The only way around this, at this point it seems, is to use Outlook webmail on the iOS device if you want to send out email from a shared mailbox. Sample URL below: (replace username, domain and top level domain references and remove spaces around @)

https://outlook.office.com/mail/username @ domain.tld/ 

The Microsoft Outlook Mobile support engineer has advised me that this bug will be fixed in the next release of Outlook for iOS.

I just confirmed that this morning's update fixes the issue for me.
Unfortunately, I'm still seeing the same issue after upgrading to version 4.2209.0.

@Ryan Steele 

We are also seeing this and at currently available version. This only appears on some clients not all.

Same problem on IPad and iPhone. Cannot reply to or forward messages from shared inbox Uninstalled and reinstalled app on iPhone and have now lost my shared mailbox entirely and there is no option to re-add it.

All,

Also seeing the issue after updating outlook to version 4.2209.1 on IOS. Prior to update sending emails from a shared account in outlook app on IOS was working. 

We get this error now when hitting the + symbol for creating new emails. "Something went wrong. Please try again or contact support"

We can reply to an email in the shared mailbox. 

We can also go to out main mail account in outlook IOS and change the sender to the the shared email account and send the email. 

Anyone else managed to solve this? Thanks

@jjoyce10 

Hi all, even yesterday's Outlook update to 4.2210.0 did not change anything for us. The problem(s) still persist(s)...

I now have version 4.2210.1 and am still seeing the same issue. Anyone else?
After some further testing, it seems the issue is specific to sending from a regular user account that I have been given "Send as" rights to. I am able to send from ordinary shared mailboxes successfully.
Yes this is our conclusion too, we have a support case open about this. Version 4.2209.0 was where it started - unable to send from EITHER User or Shared delegated mailboxes. We were told this was specifically meant to be fixed by version 4.2210.0, but the fix appears to been half baked, and only fixed it for Shared mailboxes specifically. The 2 subsequent versions since then have not fixed it either. We have provided some more logs so hopefully the next update will fix it fully!
Well, I just had my escalated in-app support case unceremoniously closed without so much as a reply to my last message. I’ve just updated to the latest version of Outlook Mobile and the issue is still occurring.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Ryan Steele (Bronze Contributor)
Solution
The issue seems to be (finally!) fixed with version 4.2213.0.

View solution in original post