Update on Focused Inbox rollout for Outlook 2016 for Windows users

Microsoft

Edited: Nov 10, 2017 with updated information. 

Focused Inbox is coming to an Outlook near you! Here is an update on our status for Outlook 2016 for Windows. If you want to see our latest for other platforms, see our blog post, as these details haven’t changed.

Note: we have provided admins the ability to control the rollout of Focused Inbox in their organizations. For more details, read our blog post on admin controls.

Rollout status

As a reminder, there is a client and service side component required for Focused Inbox to appear in Outlook. The user’s mailbox in Office 365 & Outlook.com must receive a service side update to be Focused Inbox enabled. Secondly, the user must have a build of Outlook that includes the client-side updates necessary for Focused Inbox to appear.

Service side status:

We deployed to 100% of Office 365 (Exchange Online) and Outlook.com mailboxes. This is no longer a factor in availabilty.  

Client side status:

There are a few client side requirements:

• Requires build 16.0.7967.2xxx+.  
    • This build began rolling out on April 21, 2017 to the Monthly (formerly Current) Channel for Office 365 ProPlus as Version 1703.
    • Those using a Semi-Annual (formerly Deferred) Channel build will not have access to this feature right now, as those channels offer delayed access to builds. Semi-Annual Channel will get Focused Inbox in 2018. 
  • Currently, the feature requires Office 365 modern authentication be enabled.
  • Previous use of Clutter
    • To ensure a good experience for those who previously used Clutter, user may get Focused Inbox rolled out in a defaulted-off state. See the chart in the “Transition from Clutter” section of our blog post.

186 Replies

Same here, but not for the entire tenant, 'just' for some users (including me). And it was not the first case this happend, and it was definitely not triggered by the user, like trying FI which turns off Clutter - it just got turned off. I know, it can be turned on anytime and then it works again, still, it's a disaster what is happening here.

Allen,

Just to make sure I understand correctly, even though build numbers matched for monthly and targeted channels in September, the functionality does not match?  I was under the impression that the targeted channel caught up to feature sets in the monthly channel at that point and then they were locked for testing until Semi-Annual comes out.

If there is truly a difference, then the build numbers need to be different to reflect it.

I'm also trying to understand why you need to be on Monthly channel to receive new features even if you're on the same build number of the Semi-Annual channel.
Just running into this as well. We finally got Modern Auth rolled out to our environment and were hoping to start with Focused Inbox in Outlook, only to find out now we have to wait an extra 3+ months, for no real reason?

Agree, something needs to be better with the build numbers to reflect what you have and what you dont have.
It is available in Office 365 Home, and has been for a long time. It is just subject to all the other requirements discussed in the original post above. Linking it here again: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Outlook/Update-on-Focused-Inbox-rollout-for-Outlook-2016-for-...

I don't understand. I have Outlook 2016 version 1711 and I have focused inbox enabled. It works fine in OWA but my local client does not have the option to enable focused inbox. I've looked at every tab including the view tab and nothing.

Can anyone help?

same here and I have a lot of very angry users
Are you on Monthly channel? If not you won't have it.

yes I'm on a monthly channel

Untitled.jpg

Do you have modern auth enabled?

according to the notes in the OP v1711 took care of the need to enable MA. Never the less yes MA is enabled on the client side and by default, it is supposed to be enabled on the tenant.

Yep Gregory you should absolutely have it, based on the screenshot you showed above (and yes since you are on 1711 ModernAuth no longer matters). Just to confirm, you are connected to an Exchange Online or Outlook.com mailbox? Exchange server on-prem doesn't support it, nor does Gmail.

Otherwise, I will have to direct you to support. We haven't seen it not working once the requirements are met.

It is connected to an office 365 business account. I've tried two different pc's at two different locations, none of them have the option of focused inbox even though it is enabled online.

Allen,

Looks like I'm spitting into a hurricane regarding the feature, but the article's good. The point about version 1711 is key, as my client was advised by PSS to turn off modern auth in order to disable Focused Inbox completely. That's not a great trade-off, and irrelevant given the change at v1711. (Client is at 1702.)

This customer is 15000+ plus seats, so not huge, but not mom-&-pop either. FI doesn't fit the way they use email. The inability to disable the feature along with the Outlook prompt to turn it on will translate to calls to their help desk.

The client is pursuing other methods of delivering feedback to Microsoft, and I'd value your take on this. The rollout feels heavy-handed to this client; they believe that Microsoft could deliver the feature with a much lighter touch, if they were simply to provide a registry key (or keys) to disable FI itself and the user opt-in.

Cheers,

Dan

I finally got it to work but I had to enable modern auth even with v1711 installed. Very frustrating....

Hey Daniel, 

You can manage Focused Inbox at the org level, and disable it for everyone. Detail can be found here: https://support.office.com/en-US/article/Configure-Focused-Inbox-for-everyone-in-your-organization-6...

From there, there will not be a prompt to turn it on. Individual users can still manage to turn it on in Outlook themselves, if they so choose since they like the feature. 

It FINALLY, AUTOMATICALLY showed up!!! That was a loooong wait but I'm glad it's finally here. 

I use another e-mail provider that I access using IMAP now, and I understand that Focused Inbox isn't going to be available for this mailbox on my Windows 10 Outlook 2016 (Office365,Monthly) client. 

This provider does offer an on-line Exchange Server - does, or will this support Focused Inbox, or is that only available with Microsoft hosted Exchange Online?

Is there, or will there be, a way for me to add an IMAP account to Outlook.com or Office365.com so that it will get Focused Inbox on my Outlook 2016 client?

Hi, I have Outlook Version 1705 but unable to see Focus Inbox through View Tab or anyhow Can you please help on this?

Thanks

Ashu

You will need to upgrade Office 365 ProPlus, ideally to version 1711 or greater to have any chance of seeing the Focused Inbox. The means being on the Monthly Channel at which point you should have access to the Focused Inbox.  This has a few more details - Update on Focused Inbox and our plans for Clutter, including upcoming channels other than the monthly channel that will also support the Focused Inbox.