trying to open Outlook after installation.

Copper Contributor

After I install Office 365 Business Standard. I can open Excel and Word. Trying to open Outlook I get the following message.

Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The information store could not be opened.

I have already installed on my laptop with no problems.

ccbjbcab

2 Replies

@ccbjbcab 

The error message "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The information store could not be opened" typically indicates an issue with the Outlook profile or the Outlook data file (PST/OST). Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve the problem:

1. Start Outlook in Safe Mode: Try opening Outlook in Safe Mode, which disables any add-ins or extensions that might be causing conflicts. To start Outlook in Safe Mode, press the Windows key + R, then enter "outlook.exe /safe" in the Run dialog box.

2. Repair Outlook data file: Use the Inbox Repair Tool (scanpst.exe) to repair any potential issues with the Outlook data file. The tool is usually located in the Office installation folder. For example, the default location for 32-bit Office 365 is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16". Run the tool and follow the prompts to scan and repair the Outlook data file.

3. Create a new Outlook profile: Sometimes, the Outlook profile can become corrupted, leading to the error message. Try creating a new Outlook profile and see if that resolves the issue. To create a new profile, go to Control Panel > Mail > Show Profiles, and then click on "Add" to create a new profile. Configure the profile with your email account and try opening Outlook with the new profile.

4. Check for updates: Ensure that Office 365 Business Standard is up to date with the latest updates and patches. Updates often include bug fixes and improvements that can resolve issues in Outlook. Open any other Office application (such as Word or Excel), go to File > Account, and click on "Update Options" to check for updates.

5. Reinstall Office: If none of the above steps work, consider reinstalling Office 365 Business Standard. Uninstall it completely from your system, then download and reinstall a fresh copy from the Office portal. Make sure to back up any important Outlook data before uninstalling.

If the issue persists after trying these steps, it may be necessary to contact Microsoft Support or your organization's IT department for further assistance. They can provide more specific guidance and help troubleshoot the issue with Outlook.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved
If you like my response, please give it a like

@ccbjbcab 

If you're encountering the error message "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The information store could not be opened," it suggests that there may be a problem with your Outlook profile or the Outlook data files. Here are some steps you can follow to troubleshoot the issue:

Start Outlook in Safe Mode: Launch Outlook in Safe Mode to see if any add-ins or extensions are causing the problem. To do this, press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box, then type outlook.exe /safe and press Enter. If Outlook opens in Safe Mode, disable any recently installed add-ins or extensions and restart Outlook normally.

Create a new Outlook profile: A corrupted Outlook profile can cause issues with opening the Outlook window. Create a new Outlook profile and configure your email account with it. To do this, open the Control Panel, search for "Mail," and click on "Mail (Microsoft Outlook)." In the Mail Setup window, click on "Show Profiles" and then select "Add" to create a new profile. Follow the on-screen instructions to set up your email account with the new profile. Once done, try opening Outlook with the new profile.