SOLVED

This Yahoo mail account failed to receive any mail

Copper Contributor

I've created this email account 'email address removed for privacy reasons' but none of the mails sent to this address show up. Any suggestions?

8 Replies
best response confirmed by Sidney_swhl (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Sidney_swhl

I am an independent advisor investigating Outlook inquiries.

Based on several posts that I found, I learned that you must generate and use Yahoo's App Password in Outlook to retrieve your emails.

Step 1: Here are the Yahoo steps to complete.
Source: (Generate and manage third-party app passwords | Yahoo Help - SLN15241)

1. Sign in to your Yahoo Account Security page.
  2. Click Generate app password or Generate and manage app passwords.
  3. Enter your app's name in the text field.
  4. Click Generate password.
  5. Follow the instructions below the app password.
  6. Click Done.

Use this app password and your email address to sign in to your email app.

Step 2: Complete these steps within Outlook Desktop

1. Launch the Send / Receive dialog box by pressing CTRL+ALT+S (See Picture 1 below.)

2. Click on the Group Name then Edit (as shown in Picture 1 below too)

Teresa_Cyrus_1-1661926176885.png

3. From the left navigation, select the Email account then Account Properties.
Note: Email address hidden for privacy reasons.

Teresa_Cyrus_2-1661926337775.png

4. Now change the Password according to Yahoo Steps above. 

5. Close/Restart Outlook

Many users found these instructions successful but there were few that received an error message 0x800ccc92. For any reason, if you get an error message in Outlook, please add it in this post. I will continue my investigation.  

If you find this information helpful, please mark it as the best response or like it which will assist others with the same question.  This was an hot topic since 2020 through 2022.

/Teresa

#traccreations4e

@Teresa_Cyrus 

Morning Teresa,  

I came across this post today.  I wanted to update you on a current situation with Yahoo.  When you try to generate an App Password for Microsoft Outlook 'Outlook', the following error message displayed: "This feature is not available right now".  Outlook is supposedly moving towards Oauth support depending on what you read.

See the following link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/how-to-add-a-yahoo-imap-account-to-outlook-desktop-withou...

I currently no longer access my email using Outlook.  Hopefully this will be resolved soon.  If you have any solutions, I'm all ears.

Joe

@ChitownJoe1 

Thank you for providing updated information. I noticed my response was a year old. Your input will help others with the same question.

/Teresa

@Teresa_Cyrus 

I agree also.  1 last update, the document I put in my update state "This issue normally stops occurring after about two weeks".  I'm happy to say that this is a true statement as of today.  I was able to generate an APP Password from within Yahoo web mail using the steps you outline in a previous post.

I'm back in business!!  Yea!!

@ChitownJoe1 

That is Awesome! I want to make sure I understand.
Did my original post resolve your issue?
Again, I am thinking of future users with the same issue.

/Teresa

Hey Teresa,

Your post helped users that needed to understand how to add an account to Outlook desktop including creating an App Password to make it all work.

My issue was that yours and other posts like it did not work because of the error message generated by Yahoo when creating the App Password. This is due to a Yahoo problem which likely developed after you posted your instructions.
My reply to your post was simply to update it and let others know of the problem. By doing so, a user will know your instructions are solid and to expect the error. It now also lets them know they may have to wait between 1 and 14 days to add an account to Outlook.

BTW, I am very interested in the doc I found but again it is focused on Windows 365 and does nothing for standalone Window users. If Yahoo decides to turn the key and only allow access to email clients that support 2-Step verification or Oauth, I have no choice but to change email client or my email address to a provider that does support the extra security. Neither is of interest to me

If you hear anything specific to if or when Outlook desktop will support 2-Step verification or Oauth, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Update, looked at other posts of yours and found this: "Microsoft revised announcement states that the Mail and Calendar Apps will no longer be supported at the end of 2024". MS will no longer have desktop solutions for email and are moving to a web based solution. Look's like I need to find a new email client!!.

@ChitownJoe1 

Before you jump ship, the New Outlook is available to you. The look and feel of the classic version is different. 

Right now, you can explore New Outlook with the ability to revert to desktop version.

Also thanks for the clarity. I will review and update my original post.

It's been a pleasure.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Sidney_swhl (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Sidney_swhl

I am an independent advisor investigating Outlook inquiries.

Based on several posts that I found, I learned that you must generate and use Yahoo's App Password in Outlook to retrieve your emails.

Step 1: Here are the Yahoo steps to complete.
Source: (Generate and manage third-party app passwords | Yahoo Help - SLN15241)

1. Sign in to your Yahoo Account Security page.
  2. Click Generate app password or Generate and manage app passwords.
  3. Enter your app's name in the text field.
  4. Click Generate password.
  5. Follow the instructions below the app password.
  6. Click Done.

Use this app password and your email address to sign in to your email app.

Step 2: Complete these steps within Outlook Desktop

1. Launch the Send / Receive dialog box by pressing CTRL+ALT+S (See Picture 1 below.)

2. Click on the Group Name then Edit (as shown in Picture 1 below too)

Teresa_Cyrus_1-1661926176885.png

3. From the left navigation, select the Email account then Account Properties.
Note: Email address hidden for privacy reasons.

Teresa_Cyrus_2-1661926337775.png

4. Now change the Password according to Yahoo Steps above. 

5. Close/Restart Outlook

Many users found these instructions successful but there were few that received an error message 0x800ccc92. For any reason, if you get an error message in Outlook, please add it in this post. I will continue my investigation.  

If you find this information helpful, please mark it as the best response or like it which will assist others with the same question.  This was an hot topic since 2020 through 2022.

/Teresa

#traccreations4e

View solution in original post