This is the most recent version, but you made changes to another copy

Silver Contributor

I have a user that gets this message occasionally of "This is the most recent version, but you made changes to another copy.  Click here to see the other versions."  When the user clicks it shows another copy but there are no difference between the messages and not quite sure it is really showing another copy.  I've looked online and in this forum and don't see anything that applies.  Any ideas on a solution?  One post online a user posts an image that shows changes but this one doesn't.

8 Replies

Me too, I have the same question here.

I have recently seen this behavior as well, except that I did notice a difference.  The original was created with rich text format [in the outbox].  The unintended copy was created with html format.

The recipient received the html formatted version.

Please advise,

--Jeff

We have  a user who get this message a ends up having several copies of a draft email saved... also the latest copy doesn;t necessarily have they latest changes. This can be very problematic when work has been done on a  single email in parts and there's several copies hanging around with different content

We upgraded the user from Outlook 2016 to 2019 and the problem persists

They have switch off their Options/Mail/Save messages:

"Automatically save items that have not been sent after this many minutes"

@Jeffrey Allen 

We are also experiencing this message in Outlook 2010 and 2013.  Tried recreating .ost and profile but the problem persists.

@Jeffrey Allen 

I have the same problem with Outlook 2016 (Windows) and Office 365.  This happens on various sent messages.  Worse, if you click the "View the other versions of this item", Outlook loops, and opens many, many copies of the same message, though in draft form.  Killing Outlook is the only way out.

BTW, no such message appears in my Drafts folder.

P.P.S.  Sorry for multiple replies, but I seem to have discovered a solution of sorts.  First, I compacted my mailbox, thinking that it might clean things up, or at least report if there were any corruption of the OST.  That worked, and actually improved things, in that instead of many, many copies of one e-mail, Outlook only opened two.  Then, trying to think of ways to get rid of the bogus items, I looked at the File menu for the bogus message, and noticed that in the "Move item to a different folder" button, it said the item was the in Conflicts folder.  Aha!  So, I opened the Conflicts folder via bottom left "..." and Folders / Sync issues, and deleted all copies of the message (actually, deleted everything in there).

That has cleared this up for me.  It would be super-helpful of Outlook made it clear where this junk was coming from...

I clicked on that option and it started to pull up dozens of emails; ones I had been working on in the past when Outlook crashed on me.  Before it finished pulling them up, however -- Outlook crashed.

My desire, then is to find out *WHERE* Outlook was keeping all of these messages, so that I could look at them and dispose of them individually.

The solution is to click on the ellipsis at the bottom of Outlook (Mail Calendar People Tasks Notes ...).  In there I clicked on "Folders" and scrolled down to "Sync Issues" -> Conflicts.

I moved them into a "regular" folder, and I can now peruse them at my leisure.