Sync Restarting Randomly

Copper Contributor

I'm using the Office version on Outlook on my iMac.  Yesterday, when I open Outlook it presents my folders as normal.  Then while viewing email, all messages in the sync folders disappear and a new sync begins.  I've tried logging completely out of Outlook, restarting the iMac with no change in this behavior.  I also receive some Outlook sync errors on screen.  Here's an error log and thanks for any help.

Outlook for Mac Diagnostic Log
====================================================================
Outlook for Mac 2021 Build: 16.73.23051401
Activation Type: Subscription
License Type: Microsoft 365 Subscription
Activation Domain: sbcglobal.net
App Store SKU: FALSE
Microsoft AutoUpdate Build: 4.59.23051401
Mac OS Version: Version 13.3.1 (a) (Build 22E772610a)
CPU Architecture: Apple Silicon arm64
Audience: Production
AudienceGroup: Production
Channel: CC
ComputerName: [Not Logged]
Current Time Zone: America/Chicago
Device ID: b97d9bd0-ab7f-5061-b04e-66b7d6afb11b
Session ID: 5ed75b35-b6ea-4291-a66c-9bc68941f712
Default ProfileName: [Not Logged]
ProfilePath: [Not Logged]
Proxy Settings:
{
GlobalProxy = {
FTPPassive = 1;
};
en0 = {
FTPPassive = 1;
};
en1 = {
FTPPassive = 1;
};
}
Number of email messages: 14393
Number of folders: 64
Number of reminders: 30
Number of Contacts: 125
Number of Calendar Items: 119
Number of email accounts: 2
Number of LDAP accounts: 0
----------------------------- I M A P ------------------------------
Default Account: TRUE
isAccountMigratedToHx: FALSE
Account Name: [Not Logged]
Account Full Name: [Not Logged]
[Not Logged]@att.net
Email Server: [Not Logged]
Account Uses SSL: TRUE
SMTP Server: [Not Logged]
Authentication ID: [Not Logged]
Account Supports REST: FALSE
Account Setup For REST: FALSE
Folders in Account: 7
Calendars in Account: 0
Reminders in Account: 23
Calendar Items in Account: 32
Default Account: FALSE
isAccountMigratedToHx: FALSE
Account Name: [Not Logged]
Account Full Name: [Not Logged]
[Not Logged]@sbcglobal.net
Email Server: [Not Logged]
Account Uses SSL: TRUE
SMTP Server: [Not Logged]
Authentication ID: [Not Logged]
Account Supports REST: FALSE
Account Setup For REST: FALSE
Folders in Account: 9
Calendars in Account: 0
Reminders in Account: 2
Calendar Items in Account: 2
Default application for calendar items: TRUE
Default application for contact items: TRUE
Default application for message items: TRUE
Default application for note items: TRUE
Default application for task items: TRUE

8 Replies

@REPowellI've been having the same problem! It's driving me nuts, since Outlook has to resynch over 10K emails each time it happens. It started yesterday (5/17/23). Please let me know if you've found any solutions!

@MargyK   No solution.  I'm using my iPad and also a web based email tool from yahoo.  I'll be interested to see how many others are experiencing this problem.

@REPowellAnyone know what error code 1025 means?

@REPowellJust as an FYI: I've been "talking" to a tech support rep for almost an hour. They said "It seems the latest version of Outlook is presenting some conflicts that can be interfering in the connection between the Outlook app and the third-party mail servers." However, I've tried earlier versions, and it's still not working. I'll let you know if I find a version that does work.

Thanks for your update. I have two yahoo accounts. One is working fine (an older account) but my att.net account is the one that continually tries to re-sync.
Mine include an aol account (don't laugh, I know) and microsoft-owned account, so it's pretty obvious it's not just one server they are having problems with. I spent over 2 hours in a chat with their tech support. Finally bailed on it because they kept asking me to do the same things I had already done repeatedly. For the record, I had the same problem with version 16.69, 16.70, 16.71, and 16.72. You might want to contact them just so it'll be on record that there is more than one person with this problem.
Well, I decided to move to Apple Mail on my iMac. Already use it on my iPad and iPhone. I just stuck with Outlook on my desktop due to decades of use. Life's too short to sit on hold with support groups that don't know how to solve a problem.
I tried moving to Apple Mail, but it's just too clunky for me. I've moved over to eM Client, since it has some of the features of Outlook (hopefully without the hassles). If you have a bunch of archived mail, like I do, and don't want to lose access to it, you can either archieve the local folders and load it into Mail, or drag the individual folders from Outlook to your desktop, and then import the resulting MBOX files into Mail. Good luck!