Search on Outlook Mac doesn't work - Ventura 13.1

Copper Contributor

Dear Community, 

I was migrating from an old MacBook Pro M1 to a new Macbook Pro 14 m1 pro. My outlook search stopped working. 

I've tried everything from checking spotlight privacy settings to manually reindexing the profiles through the Mac terminal but still the search doesn't work. I've even tried to reinstall the application fully, and for a moment I noticed that the search started to work when outlook was downloading the data from the exchange server, but still no. 

My Mac has all the latest updates installed. I would really appreciate any help or advice! 

Best

21 Replies

@andrein96 I am experiencing the exact same issue. I have done everything as far as troubleshooting as well (reindexing, remove and reinstall, terminal commands for index off and on and mdImport). Nothing has worked. I called Apple, they said it was Microsoft blocking Spotlight. I called Microsoft and they said it was an Apple issue. This is killing my business as I cannot search emails, calendars, Word docs or anything in  Microsoft Applications.

@TedinLDE 

I'm having the same problem and can't resolve it. HELP!

Hi @andrein96 got the same issue on Mac Outlook user. They have 3 different mailboxes, 1 with 365 and 2 with inhouse Exchange. The search has just become flakey and inaccurate- it brings some things up but others not. Does your search work at all? Any fix? I am running an Office update as we speak and holding thumbs.

@andrein96 I have the same problem!!!

I have the same problem. I've tried everything to fix with no success. It's a real joke how companies treat customers.
Same problem. I have reverted to the 'old' look Outlook for Mac and search works fine. Also purchased a 3rd party search tool to help. OneDrive searches also have their own issues when using Spotlight.

@andrein96Exactly the same issues, tried everything and still nothing. I also migrated from an older mac and and running an M2 with Ventura 13.2.1.

Same problem - tried a bunch of the solutions proposed online and nothing worked!
I am facing the same problem. I used a time machine and transferred my data from my old MacBook pro to the new one with Ventura 13.2.1 and I have tried everything but the search result on Outlook does not work! did anyone find a solution?

Same Issue. I also used TimeMachine to migrate from an Intel Macbook Pro to Macbook M2. Tried all the checks and fixes and still not able to search emails. Ventura 13.3.1

@ShanZA125 

I've got the solution: reset to the factory setting the Mac and delete all data. Then install everything from the beginning. I know this sounds bad, but having an external SSD will help. 

I have the same issue. I tried all resolutions I could find including reinstalling the software and reindexing

This is VERY VERY annoying.

I used the migration assistant to move my data. 

@orefalo 

I used Time Machine to migrate my data to a new macbook pro and I can not search in Outlook.

I've gone through numerous steps to solve the issue but it remains unresolved.

I can't work without this search tool.  Microsoft please assist with providing a solution.

@lissa42 

I have since found this solution to this problem.

Outlook not indexing/searching

sudo mdutil -a -i off

sudo mdutil -a -i on

Will solve your problem,

sincerely,

@orefalo,
Thanks! Your solution took care of the problem on my Mac running on Ventura 13.4.1. It took a little while to run, as search results didn't start appearing until about 15 minutes after the 2nd command completed.

@orefalo 

I am having the same problem.

What does tis mean:

sudo mdutil -a -i off

sudo mdutil -a -i on

Thanks,

Hi Mark,

Could you please tell me how to do this? Thanks,
This did work for me. Thank you @orefalo .

I went to Applications/ Utilities/ Terminal then put in the commands.
Did you find out what it meant or how to fix?