SARA Tool Incorrect username or password

Copper Contributor

Hi,

We are currently experiencing an issue with the SARA tool that I am trying to deploy for the support staff on a large migration to Exchange Online. All client users are getting the issue with incorrect username and password when running the tool. Normally this is because the password complexity for on-prem AD does not match the Azure AD complexity, however I know that the users have changed their passwords to match the complexity.

ilmaestro7_0-1597826036445.png

I have never experienced an issue with the tool before and have only seen this issue when using the test connectivity tool, so if anyone has any ideas that would be great?

Rgds

Lee

4 Replies

@ilmaestro7 I suppose you've checked/verified the steps and endpoints in this guide? 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/troubleshoot/installation/install-sara-from-intune

I've never tried to deploy the SaRA tool so I'm afraid I cannot provide any further suggestions.

@ChristianBergstrom 

Hi,

I should say that the tool is deployed as it is built into Outlook, but the users have the issue when they run any of the Outlook tests and it fails on the AutoDiscover test. I know that AutoDiscover works fine, as I can run the auto-configuration test and get the xml file. Also we can create Outlook profiles. I have tested it from my personal machine on my test mailbox and it works fine. MS support are looking into the issue, but I was hoping someone had seen the issue before. 

As I mentioned earlier I have never had an issue with running the tool in previous migrations and if we have any issues that we need to report to MS, I know that they will ask us to run that tool straight away.

Rgds

Lee

@ilmaestro7 Hey! Thanks for the info. I understand you're talking about the "support tool" button from within Outlook under the Help menu then? As I said I have no experience from what you're describing, but for me it sounds as if the pre-migration Autodiscover server is cached in the Outlook profile in the registry as you can create new profiles successfully.

If applicable (obviously) you could use the ExcludeLastKnownGoodUrl reg key and Outlook will not use the last known working AutoDiscover URL.

Either of these.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\x.0\Outlook\Autodiscover
DWORD: ExcludeLastKnownGoodUrl
Value: 1

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\x.0\Outlook\Autodiscover
DWORD: ExcludeLastKnownGoodUrl
Value: 1

@ChristianBergstrom 

Hi ,

Yes the SARA tool is the built in support tool in Outlook.

Thanks for replying again, I had already looked into using the reg entry, but I have found no users with any on-prem Exchange server info within any Autodiscover keys. Also normally this reg key issue is for users who can't connect to Outlook after their mailboxes have been migrated to Exchange Online and we are not currently experiencing that issue at the moment.

Hopefully MS will get back to us shortly with the SARA logs and a resolution to the problem.

Rgds

Lee