Rules in Outlook '16 don't work - what do I need to do?

Copper Contributor

I have email in spam folder that I want in my inbox. I have spam in my inbox that I want in my spam folder.  What is there to entering a rule and having it work all the time?

9 Replies
Thanks for the question. I'm moving it to the Outlook space for better visibility.

Thanks Sal.  The problem is I get my bank balance everyday.  It always goes into spam. I did mark it that it was not junk but seems I have to do it everyday.  What can I do to make it a permanent move to my in box?

Have a look at the spam settings: do you have the sender listed (also) in blocked senders or in blocked domains?

No, the bank is not in listed blocked sender nor blocked domain. In fact, the two listed there continue to come through so I don't see that those controls work either.

In my experience, most problems like yours come out from inconsistencies in junk email settings in Outlook.

First of all, is perhaps the junk email completely disabled? Second, are there senders/domains both blocked and allowed?

Please double check all...

If it still fails, you can try to empty completely all blocked and allowed lists of sender/domains and start over.

Good luck.

Thanks again but this is a new set up since Jun 2017. I have blocked two senders but they continue to come into my outbox. It would seem the junk mail is disabled. How do I check to be sure the junk mail is working? I do not have allowed lists or blocked lists for sender or domains - all are empty.

I have been marking specific messages for... years... as "Not Junk" and the usual response is "X will no longer be considered Junk" or words to that effect. Of course Outlook then consistently "forgets" that re-classification. If I understand your recommendation, ignore that option and manually add safe senders to the safe senders list and vice versa, right? Happy to do that but why offer a "Not Junk" option that doesn't work? Inside joke from Redmond?