SOLVED

Pop/smtp

Copper Contributor

Hi there, 

I want to ask for help about pop/smtp settings. So I get my e-mails in Outlook from a server. My setting are pop/smtp. My question is, if I delete that server, which contains my e-mails, do my already downloaded e-mails remain in my Outlook application? 

As far as I know, pop3 settings can do that my emails are downloaded to my pc. But in outlook I can only see this pop/smtp. This way can I look up my old messages as well?

Thank you for help!

Kristóf

3 Replies
best response confirmed by fulopkristof (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@fulopkristof Because the account is a POP account, mail is stored in a pst file and the pst is not removed from ether outlook or the computer when you delete the account from Outlook.  So, your downloaded mail will be safe. 

Removing IMAP and Exchange accounts will delete the data files those accounts use, from both outlook and the hard drive. 

@Diane Poremsky Thank you for your quick answer!

It isn't about removing account from Outlook, it's about deleting my account at a storage website, bacuase I want to have a new storage at an other site with a best offer. (But I suppose, what you wrote is still valid for me) But I wonder, if I change client server storage, and if I had the same e-mail adress with the new storage, and I set it as IMAP, (so I can use the email adress on multiple devices) still remain the old POP emails? 

So: New storage at a new site, the same email adress, IMAP connection type, 

Thank you!

Kristóf

@fulopkristof 

>>

I had the same e-mail adress with the new storage, and I set it as IMAP, (so I can use the email adress on multiple devices) still remain the old POP emails? 

>>

As long as you have the mail in the pst, you will have the old mail.  You can add the new server as pop or IMAP - it will not affect the old mail downloaded from the old server. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by fulopkristof (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@fulopkristof Because the account is a POP account, mail is stored in a pst file and the pst is not removed from ether outlook or the computer when you delete the account from Outlook.  So, your downloaded mail will be safe. 

Removing IMAP and Exchange accounts will delete the data files those accounts use, from both outlook and the hard drive. 

View solution in original post