Outlook Windows App Not Download Emails in Folders

Copper Contributor

Hi Community,

I just set up an outlook.com address and set up in Outlook on the PC. The issue i'm having is that none of the emails in my other folders are showing. The inbox is working fine and theres no standard issue - some folders are showing some emails and not others and some are not showing any at all.

In this example "House", I have a number of emails including 1 unread. You can clearly see this in the first picture that it is showing the webmail at outlook.com but, in the second picture, there are no emails, just the "1" unread next to the folder.

MarkLaurenti_0-1628255615716.png

Online webmail view - all emails present

MarkLaurenti_1-1628255649795.png

Outlook Office View - No Emails but can see the 1 next to the folder

This was setup in outlook using the account type "Outlook.com"

I've tried deleting the mail profile

Repairing my office installation and re-installed office entirely

The issue is present on both my home PC and work pc

Any advice offered would be gratefully appreciated, thank you

Mark

9 Replies

Hello @MarkLaurenti 

Please, download the Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant from the link below.

About the Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant - Office Support

Install and then select Outlook. Here you will find multiple options available. I would start by clicking on I'm having problems sending, receiving, or finding email messages. 

Follow the steps and see what happens. Hopefully this will help. 

I have a few other ideas by try this one first. Please, let me know.

Thanks,

JoseBiceps

@JosePinos55 

Hi Jose,

Thank you for your reply. I've have ran the support tool as requested and selected the option as specified but, according to the support tool, it doesn't support the account (Microsoft not supporting outlook?!). Please see below, thank you for your time

MarkLaurenti_0-1628493374302.png

@MarkLaurenti 

Hello Mark,

Please, accept my apologies. As I normally use work accounts, had not tried the tool with @outlook.com accounts. Tested it myself and it does not work.

However, I have another suggestion. Please, see the image attached, go to that path and delete the Outlook Data Files found within that folder. 

After doing this, create a new profile. 

Please, ensure to make a backup of these files if you need them in the future. These files basically hold all the cached emails on your local machine. 

@JosePinos55 

Hello Again Jose,

No problem, its always worth venturing all possible options before moving on to the more complicated.

Although I did do a profile reset previously, I have tried your suggestion to no avail. I moved the files to the root of the drive, deleted the profile and restarted Outlook. The mail re-initialised but alas, same problem.

An important thing I have just realised that i should have mentioned is that these folders were originally set up in a completely different email account. They were moved via Outlook into the Outlook account and, after some syncing, became available on Outlook.com but not in the app. Sorry, i should have mentioned this before

All the best

Mark

@JosePinos55 

All Fixed. Found the issue. After removing the profiles, deleting the outlook folder in Local and Roaming AND doing a full online office repair, the issue wasn't resolved but i decided to check the view settings and found it:

I've no idea why it did this but there is an option to hide messages marked for deletion (Not sure why Outlook thinks its marked for deletion). Setting to one of the others made the emails appear. I think there is a larger issue at hand but for now, i'm glad its working.

MarkLaurenti_1-1628586055881.png

Hopefully this'll help someone else in a similar issue - i believe it has something to do with moving the folders from one email to another using Outlook.

All the best

Mark

Hello Mark,

This is great!

I’m glad everything is now sorted and thanks for sharing as well!

Regards,
Jose

@MarkLaurenti Thank you!  I've been troubleshooting this for 2 weeks and your solution (change the filters in the View) worked perfectly!

You should only have the hide Messages marked for deletion is you imported folders from an IMAP account.

If that is the cause, see this article for solutions to fix the views.
https://www.slipstick.com/developer/code-samples/change-outlook-folder-type-export/

@MarkLaurenti 

Hi All,

This problem was driving me nutty until I came across this thread.

My Outlook (part of Office 2016 Pro Plus) does not have a "Hide Messages Marked for Deletion" option in the View submenu, but this answer got me thinking because some of my subfolders did have messages in them, but many others would indicate zero number of offline folder items in Folder Ribbon/Folder Properties/Synchronization, so this had to be some type of default display issue.

After some digging I saw File/Account Settings/Account Name and Sync Settings was set to only download email for the past 1 year and reset it to "All" and all 78K+ from my nearly full Inbox finally downloaded.

Outlook OWA Sync Bug - Imgur 

Be sure to read the fine print and restart Outlook after resetting.

Thanks again.