Outlook Spelling check in Subject line different from body text

Copper Contributor

Hi

On 'answers.microsoft.com' there's an old discussion called "Outlook 2016 Spelling check in Subject line different from body text", the discussion is closed, but the error still exists in Outlook (I'm running Version 2006 (Build 13001.20384)) on Windows 10, everything updated.

I know MS is busy!!!!!!!!, but fixing an error that is 3-4 years old, should have been done by now :-).

The error is, that the subject line is checked in English and the body in my language (Danish). Looking around, I see that many other users have the same problem in many other languages, so it's not related to any specific language.

Example attached.

As you see, the Danish word is checked in English in the subject line and in Danish in the body.

I have read many posts about this, tried to change Region, local languages, the order of which they are used in Outlook etc.,  still not fixed.

Anyone out there smarter than me? :-).

Carsten

15 Replies

@duksedrengen - I think the Subject is being checked in American English, the Microsoft default. This jumped out at me (working in British [proper!] English) when logging a fault about sluggish behaviour on one of our servers, so I tried a couple of other words and sure enough...

SillyMicrosoft.jpg

Complaints about the "...our" spellings in the Subject, but not in the Body.

I went hunting to see if I could find a fix and discovered your unanswered query, so thought I'd reply in case it plops it onto someone's pile. :)

Like @Skotzmun, arrived here noticing this with US English in subject line.

This is with Outlook 365 MSO 16.0.13801.20240 32 bit. British English is set, and works, everywhere else (Windows 10 Region and language, Office language settings, Outlook options).

@Skotzmun 

problem still there in Win 11 Jan 2022

Naturalisation vs Naturalization

This was reported at least 12 years ago...

There are a few options here: https://superuser.com/questions/169393/different-languages-in-subject-line-and-text-body-in-outlook-...

The unicode answer worked for me on Windows 10 / Outlook 2016.

@IainB1 - thanks for that. Good to know there's yet another bit of Micro$haft annoying behaviour that has been around for over a decade without a formal resolution. :)

However I think your own experience of the unicode thing means it's is a good bet that it's the root cause. I no longer have this issue (we have an external support company and I just lobbed it at them and can't actually recall what the outcome was!) and had forgotten about this ticket, but I checked where you said and my unicode setting was "UK English".

FWIW, I run Windows 10 Pro, local Outlook software and with our Office365 accounts being managed from our US-based head office.

So that Unicode setting is definitely a great place for people experiencing this annoying issue to check first. Many thanks for that.

KR

Steve

non-Unicode answer works for Office 365 on Windows 10. That is a well hidden setting! Thanks @IainB1

Hey thanks for the super helpful reply. I'm not sure how I missed that thread. I haven't quite mastered the search function on here. I think I'll pass with him this time around. If i want any further guideline we will contact you here https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/outlook/outlook-teatime-spelling-check-in-subject-line-different-from-body-text/td-p/1562729

Hey thanks for the super helpful reply. I'm not sure how I missed that thread. I haven't quite mastered the search function on here. I think I'll pass with him this time around. If i want any further guideline we will contact you here

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/outlook/bestsoundbar/outlook-spelling-check-in-subject-line-different-from-body-text/m-p/3611189#M12917

I totally agreed with you my problem is solved completely. Thankyou so much. Have a nice day to all… https://doradotarde.com/

The problem you have here is most likely that you are using word as your email editor, so Outlook uses the dictionary set in word for the body of the email, which will be UK English, however the spell checking in the subject line is done by Outlook itself, which is probably set to US English.

To change Outlooks language (in Outlook 2007), go to Tools, Options, Spelling Tab, Spelling and AutoCorrection - In this new menu you will see in the middle section "Custom Dictionaries." Click this button and then use the drop down menu at the bottom of the next screen to set Dictionary Language to English UK.

In Outlook 2003, you need to take a look in c:\program files\microsoft office\office11\1033. In here should be a file called email.dot, right click on the file and go to 'open the file', do not double click. In here in the status bar at the bottom it should show "English (US)", double click on this and change to English (UK). Save and close, it should now have the right dictionary.

@Uk49s_Win 

i agree with you but You may notice that sometimes even you have enabled the Spell Check feature in Microsoft Outlook, the wrong spellings in the subject line won’t be marked.

See screen shot below. No one wants to send an email with wrong spellings in the subject. But how to prevent the wrong spellings in the subject lines and automatically correct them before sending? There are two tricky ways to spell check for subject lines in Microsoft Outlook.

Kutools for Outlook - Brings 100 Powerful Advanced Features to Microsoft Outlook
Auto CC/BCC by rules when sending email; Auto Forward Multiple Emails by rules; Auto Reply without exchange server, and more automatic features...

BCC Warning - show message when you try to reply all if your mail address is in the BCC list; Remind When Missing Attachments, and more remind features...

Reply (All) With All Attachments in the mail conversation; Reply Many Emails at once; Auto Add Greeting when reply; Auto Add Date&Time into subject...

Attachment Tools: Auto Detach, Compress All, Rename All, Auto Save All... Quick Report, Count Selected Mails, Remove Duplicate Mails and Contacts...

More than 100 advanced features will solve most of your problems in Outlook 2010-2019 and 365. Full features 60-day free trial.

@stefanwilaon 

The problem you have here is most likely that you are using word as your email editor, so Outlook uses the dictionary set in word for the body of the email, which will be UK English, however the spell checking in the subject line is done by Outlook itself, which is probably set to US English.

To change Outlooks language (in Outlook 2007), go to Tools, Options, Spelling Tab, Spelling and AutoCorrection - In this new menu you will see in the middle section "Custom Dictionaries." Click this button and then use the drop down menu at the bottom of the next screen to set Dictionary Language to English UK.

In Outlook 2003, you need to take a look in c:\program files\microsoft office\office11\1033. In here should be a file called email.dot, right click on the file and go to 'open the file uk49s teatime', do not double click. In here in the status bar at the bottom it should show "English (US)", double click on this and change to English (UK). Save and close, it should now have the right dictionary.

I know it is een old question but I had the same problem with spell check language in the subject line of Outlook 365 for Windows 11 so maybe this reply help someone.
In my case the problem was solved with the overall Windows settings and specially the keyboard language setting.