Outlook - Show task from one account only - how?

Copper Contributor

Hello Everybody,

I cannot figure out one topic and I am looking for some help. In Outlook, I have two email accounts with the same name, but different domains (so like : name.lastname@aaaa.com and name.lastname@bbbb.com). Both of those accounts have some tasks and Outlook is showing me those all mish-mashed in the view. I was looking for a way to at least separate those tasks or ideally remove tasks from the B domain from the view but I cannot find a proper filter. I found a suggesstion for using "changed by" option but that does not seem to work properly here because the names are the same and outlook keeps giving some weird results (some tasks disappear but not the ones intended, or does not react to the filter etc). Trying to filter out the domain does not bring any results (unless I am doing it wrong). I tried using Outlook Data File condition but this filter just does not seem to work.

Any magician here has an idea? :)

12 Replies

@Barszczyk You are using the To-do list or the to-do bar?  If they are in different accounts, you want to filter by account.  To filter in the to-do bar, right click on the field names and choose View settings. 

To move them to another account, go to the task module (Ctrl+4 or the task button in the navigation pane) and drag from one task folder to another. 

@Diane Poremsky 

I am using a To-Do Bar. I know where to find view settings. The by account filter does not work correctly or I do not know how to use this.

I made a test with my mailbox and a group mailbox on the same domain.

When I used filter Email Account->contains-> "nameofthegroupmailbox", all the tasks were gone.
When I used filter Email Account->contains-> "mylastname" Outlook showed only tasks from the group mailbox.

Either this is very inconsistent or I do not know how to use this.

As mentioned, I found the tip to use "changed by" field, which is working fine when filtering group mailbox from my private one, but the field does not seem to work when both accounts have the same name but a different domain - To-Do Bar will just show all the tasks from both accounts.

@Barszczyk  Is the group mailbox added as an account? If not try the owner field. 

@Barszczyk  BTW - 

>>

As mentioned, I found the tip to use "changed by" field, which is working fine when filtering group mailbox from my private one,

>>

Changed by should be you - email account applies only to actual accounts added to the profile - and owner should be the mailbox name, depending on permissions. 

>>

the field does not seem to work when both accounts have the same name but a different domain - To-Do Bar will just show all the tasks from both accounts.

>>

Try using the full email address, not just the name. 

Add the changed by, owner, and email account fields to a view and see what the values are - pick the one that is consistent. 

@Barszczyk  click on one of the tasks in your to do bar to open the Task List menu.  Under Arrangement click the expand arrow on the right (line with a down arrow under it) select  view settings from there.  Under Group By... select how to group the tasks.  I opted for Recipient Name which sorts by the person who received the email or created the task. that way I can close their list of tasks (i just see the name but not all their tasks)

@Barszczyk I was looking for it and came across your old post.  Adding on in case someone needs it. I don't know forum rules or stuff so whatever.  This is for someone else looking. 

Advanced view settings

Filter

Advanced 

Field, select owner (is exactly)

Add full name or whatever is configured in Outlook

That worked for me.

@Adrielly 

I have tried to do this but failed.  In the To Do Bar I go to 

View Settings

Filter

Advanced

and not matter which field I select e.g. Owner / Email Account / Outlook Data File and use the email address I need nothing shows

Any advice welcome

@louisechurch 

I had the same issue but by using Field Chooser to drag the Outlook Data File field to the column headers and right clicking and grouping by this field, I was able to at least have them grouped where I could then collapse the Outlook account that I didn't use as frequently. Not exactly a filter, but works well enough for me. Not sure if that will help you.

@Miller818 Thanks so much.  I'll try this.

@Diane Poremsky What other ways can a mailbox be added? As I have seen some of my clients who are Exec Assistants have no problem with tasks from their Execs account showing whilst others do? I feel that it is inherent in the way they were set up?
Also, previously I had been able to successfully isolate just the one account through the application of the filter: Changed by is exactly <email address>

However, in recent times I have noticed that Tasks created using Siri on the mobile phone do not appear and neither do tasks created from a Team Chat message. 

Eureka! I think you have the answer I seek. Owner is exactly <mailbox name>
Not the email address!!! Fortunately for me my employer has left out an apostrophe from my name and my own account has it, so it provides the perfect separator! 

This does allow Tasks created from Team Chat to appear but sadly not tasks created using Siri. They seem to have no Owner at all. Maybe its Siri?!

Actually, hold the presses! Tasks created on your phone using Siri do not come with an Owner. Darn! Therefor they do not appear in the To Do Bar using the Owner filter.
Add them manually and its fine.