Outlook server error on contacts transfer to icloud

Copper Contributor

Contacts and calendar entries synced for years then recently disappeared from iPhone SE. Two hours with Apple senior tech they say it is a Microsoft issue they have seen before. 5 chats over 4 hours with Microsoft tech help. MS tech created windows for iCloud folder and copied Outlook contacts (4,500) and tried to paste to iCloud contacts folder. He said that a MS settings change now requires use of MS exchange and created the Windows to iCloud folder accordingly. 2 techs each tried separately and only 1,300 contacts transferred before an Outlook error message appeared, "Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close." The contacts that were successfully transferred created duplicates. There are no longer my Outlook calendar entries on iCloud either. How do I contact tm senior tech to resolve? I hit the report to Microsoft button and took a screen shot of the error message.

1 Reply
If I'm understanding this correctly, you use Outlook desktop software and sync your iCloud calendar and contacts to Outlook desktop using the apple iCloud addin?

What type of email account do you have configured in Outlook? POP, IMAP, Outlook.com, or Microsoft Exchange?

Are you using the iCloud app from the app store or the iCloud download from apple?

Do you have copies of the calendar and contacts in a pst file?

>>
MS settings change now requires use of MS exchange and created the Windows to iCloud folder accordingly.
<<
Yikes. I hope you misunderstood what he was saying - because Outlook on Windows does not sync iCloud using Microsoft Exchange technology. It needs the iCloud addin installed.