Outlook popped up for credentails

Copper Contributor

Hi Expert,

Please help me on below query..

Outlook 2016 suddenly popped up for credentials but not accept the credentials. same credentials work when user open the web outlook, Done some registry settings but no luck. 

6 Replies

Solution - Need to delete modern authentication ... key EnableADAL.

@Manoj_gurve Hello, try and log out from all Office applications (manually from within the app) and shut the Office apps down. Then clear all cached credentials in "Credential Manager" https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026814/windows-accessing-credential-manager
Log out from the computer (if possible change password as well as it could be a problem) and back in with a connection to the network.

With the information given it is difficult to say what and why this is happening, but this info explain how it works https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/enterprise/modern-auth-for-office-2013-and-2016?redirectS...

You can disable modern authentication on the client with the registry key but it wouldn't be my first choice.

@ChristianBergstrom Thanks for your support I did all the troubleshooting you said. but no luck, finally deleted registry key & it worked.

@Manoj_gurve Glad it worked out for you. As there's only one user affected (as far as I understand) it's easy to revert if necessary. If you post again please add more tech details as it will be easier to assist. The list could go on with all sort of troubleshooting steps.

Does the machine have kb4535996 installed? It caused some issues(connectivity, and credentials as you mention) with Outlook for some of my users. Removing it solved it, but there since has been a patch that resolves these issues(KB4554364.)that I haven't had a chance to test yet.

Hope it helps

@K-Chang 

Thanks for reply.. I was never checked that, because windows patches was up to date & outlook 2016 has not showing any update. But I'll keep in mind next time.

Thanks again.