SOLVED

Outlook Password prompt disappears quickly

Brass Contributor

Good morning everyone,

Over the past several months we've been experencing a very random issue where Outlook loses users credentials, and then when loading Outlook it prompts for the password, but goes away so quickly you don't have a chance to enter the password.

Steps we have taken to resolve the issues.

1. We've cleared credential manager on the system

2. Repaired office (both quick and online).

3. Created new Outlook profiles (including deleting the .ost file).

4. Uninstalled/reinstalled Office completely.

Most times it works itself out after a few days, but I don't get why this issue continues to happen.

Any helpful tips?

thanks in advance

49 Replies

@dhendrix24 

Thanks all for the hints. Recently I have run into this issue on O365 locally installed, after going back in System Restore due to mouse driver failure after update (random duplications and clicks). After restarting, Outlook displayed the "Need Password" request at the bottom, but the Password window just disappears in a matter of milliseconds ( I hardly see sometimes a part of window frame being drawn, before it's gone). 

Ridiculously, I tried in a sequence all of the above, and still no luck.

The last thing, I will probably try, is to uninstall completely O365 and try to install normal Office 2019 (not 365), unless somebody has another tip what to try...

@jsyrovat SOLVED, I went to Settings->Accounts->Work or School and found saved credentials, so I tried to remove it, and after that Outlook after restart prompted correctly for a password and connected to server.

Hello,

This issue started for me after I enabled "App protection policy" in intune. I went back and excluded my laptop from the App Policy and Outlook started working. I will investigate later and see why app policy caused this issue. 

This post gave me some hints into solving my issue, thanks all.

I'm using Windows Virtual Desktop (WVD) with Windows 10 20H2 Multi-Session with FSLogix, and users are MFA enabled. Only after a few days of using the desktop, they have the issue where Outlook or Teams cannot open anymore and when we try to reconfigure outlook it doesn't find the account at all.
Simply disabling MFA solves the issue, but that's not an option. On Multi-Session, it's not possible to Hybrid Join so it might be another factor affecting the SSO mechanism of WAM...

Here is how I solved the issue, keeping MFA:
Add the following Registry keys to disable WAM (Web Account Manager) and revert Outlook back to ADAL (Active Directory Authentication Library):
  • [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity "DisableADALatopWAMOverride"=dword:00000001
  • [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity "DisableAADWAM"=dword:00000001

Hope it'll help others as I spent 2 weeks on this.

Hugo

Thanks@jsyrovat this solution worked for me

You should ask about the full environment in which Outlook works!
The error you describe is not due to a problem with Outlook, in my opinion, but to additional factors related to security or not properly configuring the device.
Or unfinished update !
The ability to synchronize can also be disturbed by a virus ! then the reaction of Outlook is like this because the disruption is unconfirmed and this is the correct reaction of Outlook !
I suggest Synchronize your Outlook account with Mail for Windows 10
This solution works fantastic because the authorization and confirmation of the account provides Mail for Windows 10 and believe me there are no problems !

What worked for me is to go to Windows 10 Settings > Accounts > Access work or school > Disconnect the account there, then log in with Outlook and it then it worked for me. The registry settings didn't fix it for me.  @dhendrix24 

Thanks Hugo! After fighting with this for 3 hours, and trying all the other suggestions, these registry changes fixed it!
We recently switched from GoDaddy to Microsoft for our Office 365 subscriptions and had this issue trying to get all our users logged back in. Despite trying multiple registry changes, including those listed here, it was an easy fix that @ahuli12 and @jsyrovat pointed out:

Windows 10 Settings > Accounts > Access work or school > Disconnect
When you cannot login on Office/Outlook connection problems in Windows 10 try:
Add-AppxPackage -Register "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy\Appxmanifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode
I am using my laptop as both my iphone and ipad are suffering from being unable to respond to the "Enter the password for Outlook account" prompt. what action can i take to get out of this please?

@Colin2000 If you're having an issue on your iphone and ipad, it's not related to the issue discussed in this thread. As long as you're running on iOS 11 or later/iPadOS 13.1 or later modern authentication should work with the apple mail app. You could also try downloading the Microsoft Outlook app in case there's some conditional access setting not allowing the apple mail app to work. If none of that helps, I recommend reaching out to your IT staff or opening a case with Microsoft. 

@A1 Saying to use Mail instead of Outlook is a terrible solution. Outlook has way more features than the Windows 10 Mail app. What are you saying about a virus?

@prelek1984  This issue happened to me when i upgraded to Windows 11, and thanks for the thread. The solution worked for me for Windows 11 and outlook hybrid mode.

Thank you for this suggestion. I was looking for answer from log time.

@dhendrix24 

Thank you.

We expecting more support and help

once again thank you so much.

Regards,

Anoop P

encountered the same issue

Encountered the same issue today after resetting passwords of Office 365 users, 2 days ago.
Solved in 4 steps:
1. deletting all registered account under legacy control panel->credentials manager->Windows credentials
2. opening Word, disconnecting *all* account under File->Account
3. Disconnecting all account under modern control panel->accounts->Work and school account
4. Reboot
After that just reopen Word, simply reconnect your account, clic ok on onedrive prompt (if any), and open Outlook, enter credentials of any additional mailbox (if any) and that's it !

Inspired by@Smylez .

What worked for me with Outlook 365 and Office version 18.2110.13110.0 was:
  1. Close outlook.
  2. Open office app.
  3. Logout on office app
  4. Login again on office app
    • Opening outlook after this did not work, so closed it
  5. Click Outlook icon from the office app.
-> Outlook shows "Connected to Microsoft Exchange" again and mails got updated.