Outlook/Office 365 loads wrong display name on To: field.

Copper Contributor

Hi Community,

This is an annoying problem that has been happening where I work. It's not critical, but would be good to be able to fix it.

We use Office 365 and have Outlook installed on all user PCs (win7). When typing the destination email/name on To: field, you will see the correct name [Berni..] and email [accounts@..] on the autocompletion list (picture outlook_01.png). However, after hitting <Enter> it will fetch a wrong name [Rachel..] (from the former employee that used that email, but no longer belongs to our organization) (picture outlook_02.png).

If you double-click the name [Rachel..] (picture outlook_03.png) you'll see that both name and email are actually correct. Just the display name that its messed up. If you send the email, it will go to the right mailbox as well.

What I want to accomplish: To see the proper name [Berni..] on the To: field after selecting the mail item from the autocomplete list.

What I tried to do so far:

- local contacts overriding global contacts: checked but it's not the case, and the problem is happening on multiple computers

- user profile on O365 admin panel/ exchange: checked, no evident problems. (picture outlook_04.png the forum only allows 3 attachments)

- deleted autocompletion entries (single and everything). The same thing happens.

I'm thinking of deleting the mailbox and creating it again, but

1) There will be no fun

2) I would need to backup everything before. As it's a huge mailbox (and it will take a lot of time to do that), I'm hoping that a good soul out there with a trick under their sleeve would suggest me a better approach to fix the problem.

Please let me know if you need any other info and thanks in advance for any replies.

Cheers! :)

47 Replies

@Diane Poremsky Thank you very much for your response. I will try the steps everyone has given and post the results for reference.

@SirJonnyB  ... sorry, but no.  None of this is necessary,  all you need to do is clean up your contacts.  We have had the troublesome behavior disappear for all users who did this

Hi @Jonathan Stone  Same here, just took over previous IT person and I changed contact name and alias through office 365 , and I could log in the account smoothly, while other users trying to send me an email, the information still shows the previous people's contacts information and I couldn't search new name in global contacts as well. However, when I searched the old person's name it's showing there with new email address alias. I have left this there for 2 days, still no changed. Have checked exchange as well, all information has updated. So frustrating about it.

@Graham BoastThis worked for me!  This was Outlook365 with an IMAP account.

@AWHolmes This worked for about 3 minutes, then reverted to displaying the wrong name.  *#%#@?!

I'd tried every other solution on this thread. This is the one that worked. That Linked Contact.  I have no idea how those links are created, but deleting those links to the wrong contact card worked.  THANK YOU!!!!!

You are a life saver. Its solved. Thank you.. :ok_hand:

I think I see this.  It is a problem of the autocomplete file (.nk2).  In the "To" box, when it shows name, there will be an "X" to the right in that box.  Click on that "X" and the entry is deleted from the autocomplete file so the name no longer shows up.