Outlook freezes at start up

Copper Contributor

Trying to open my Outlook 365.  Click on the shortcut or from the program files bar. The Outlook blue box appears on the screen.  It then stalls when in the lower left corner it says "Loading Profile".  I have gone through these "darn" forums.  I tried opening in safe mode it stalls out.  I tried running a repair tool from the uninstall program>change<repair and nothing works.  Does anyone know how to fix this.

1 Reply

@mslacat

Disable add-ins

Add-ins improves your Outlook by providing more features and enhancements. But in some cases, it may interfere with the normal functioning and may cause Outlook to crash/hang. To disable add-ins, follow the instructions below.

1. Click File > Options > Add-ins
  2. In the Manage drop down menu, select COM-Add-ins > Go
  3. Check the add-ins that are enabled and uncheck them. Save the changes and restart Outlook.

If your Outlook is working fine now, it means add-ins is the culprit. But it is important to identify the specific add-in that was causing trouble. To identify that, check the add-ins one at a time and restart Outlook. Repeat the process for all the add-ins that were selected earlier and wait until the Outlook crashing problem repeats. Now you have identified the add-in causing trouble. Disable it permanently and continue using Outlook. Your error should be resolved. However, if this doesn’t help, proceed to the next step.

Run Outlook diagnostics tool

1. Download automatic diagnostic tool and run in on your system
  2. After the tool completes the process, the issue should be resolved. However, if the issue still persists, go to Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant for Office 365
  3. Click Outlook in the first screen and click Next
  4. Select one of the options according to your situation and click Next
  • Outlook keeps freezing or hanging
  • Outlook crashes with a message ‘Microsoft Outlook has stopped working’

This automated tool should help you resolve most errors in Outlook. 

Regards,

Akshay

Exchange Online Expert