Outlook for mac opens attachements twice

Copper Contributor

All,

I am running outlook version 16.29 (19090802) on a MacBook Pro with macOS Mojave 10.14.6. 

When opening on an attachment in an e-mail, it for some reason opens the file twice. How can I fix this?

KR. Erwin

15 Replies

@Erwin35 

No answer, but I started to observe the same thing yesterday.  The major thing that changed on my system is that I installed a new SSD in my MacBook Pro, the day before yesterday.  The SSD got a new load of MacOS Mojave, then I migrated my apps and data from the original HDD to the SSD.

I've already fixed another problem, where Search didn't work in Outlook.  There was some conflict or gap between Outlook and Spotlight Search.  The fix is covered here - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/troubleshoot/outlook-for-mac/useful-tools .

I suspect some configuration or setting didn't migrate correctly?

Ed

@NewYorker 

Looks like Microsoft may already be aware of this one.  It may also not be related to my system migration. https://support.office.com/en-us/article/interacting-with-attachments-from-the-drop-down-menu-causes... .

I think the work-around works. 

Hi @Erwin35 .

I have the same problem. Have you received any solution allready?

Regards

@matiasatgrancapital

@matiasatgrancapital 

No, I have not received a solution.  However, the work-around that is noted in the support article works.  Open the attachment from the Reading Pane, instead of opening the message then opening the attachment. 

Thank you very much @NewYorker 

@Erwin35   This has been happening to me for the last few weeks, it's very annoying.  Not only happens on opening attachments, also happens when saving:   two 'save as' dialogue boxes open which is very confusing as it's hard to track what you've saved and where.  If saving multiple attachments it also doesn't default back to where you last saved, which is also extremely irritating.   Can't for the life of me work out how to fix it.    Temp fix of opening a reading pane instead didn't work - it did at first but then the problem came back.   Only thing that DOES fix it is if you click on the 'download all' link, if you want to save.    This work for one attachment, but not very helpful if you want to save multiples to different places, or if you're simply opening for viewing.   

Hello -
I'm having the exact same issue.
iMac (late 2014) and MacBook (late 2017) both running macOS Mojave 10.14.6.
Quite annoying tbh
M

@MikeG_on_Skis 

Try the workarround: open the attachment from the preview panel (not from inside the email)

Regards

@Erwin35 

I have exactly the same problem since almost 2-3 weeks. It is annoying.

I have MacBook Pro 15" with macOS Mojave 10.14.6. as well!

I don't use the workaround solution mentioned in the Office Support page. as I don't like to open/ read my emails in the "read pane" mode.

I hope they will find a solution to this issue soon and will follow up on it.

Thanks for your raising of the issue.

Regards

Joe

@JoeSalla_NBG_MSO365 

I see the same thing - in addition I cannot drag an attachment from the email to the desktop. I have to use the save as dialog and when I do, I get the double save windows.

@Erwin35 

Hi I had the same issue for quite some time, however there was an update this morning which appears to have rectified the issues.

Check if you have an update.

Kind regards

Mark

@markholbrook 

I downloaded and installed the Office for Mac v16.30.0 update this morning.  Likewise, it appears that the double-opening issue has been resolved.

Ed

It seems the same to me. Thank you.

@NewYorker  yes it has fixed the issues for me as well.

Hi @Erwin35.

The problem  was solved this week with an update you should download and install.

It worked fine for me.

Good luck.