Outlook distribution list to Outlook Android app

Copper Contributor

I have created a distribution list for sending out SMS alerts to our 47 employees' mobile phones from my Outlook. It works great, but when we lose power and I can't use my computer, I must to be able to send it from my Android's Outlook app. I cannot get the distribution list to sync with the Outlook app on the Android. This is really just a distribution list -- there's no need for all the Group functions. Any suggestions? Thanks!

5 Replies

By your description, it seems like you've created an Outlook Contact Group, right? Distribution Groups in Office 365 have a different meaning, they are managed centrally (on the server) and will be available on any device. However, depending on your organization's config, creation or management of DGs might be limited to specific users only. Here's the documentation just in case: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/distribution-groups-e8ba58a8-fab2-4aaf-8aa1-2a304052d2de

Thanks for your response, Vasil. Turns out that the best option was to: 

1. create a Contact for each employee with their SMS address (e.g. 1234567890@vtext.com) on our DC's ADUC; and
  2. create a distribution list in ADUC for those contacts, which assigns it an email address (e.g. SMS@mycompany.com), which I can use on my mobile phone's Outlook app to email a text message to them.

Problem solved. 

I have a similar situation, but not with sms. I just want to send regular emails to a regular list of contacts via an android phone. I see the contact list I made in outlook on the web. But it will not populate that list to my android phone. This is an old problem for outlook as seen here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/your-contact-list-not-showing-on-outlook-m.... I do not wish to put our small organization in a "group" as it seems everyone will get an email - 'you've been added to xyz group,' and we really don't need the group features as the user above mentioned. We just need to send an email to a 50 or so person group/list, and have the ability to do that via an android phone, like the above user said when the power goes out, or when a computer, or WiFi is not available.
Yes, I simply want to be able to send simple email to people in my PC outlook contact group on my android phone with the outlook app. Seems to me the Outlook address book should totally sync from PC to Android App...
Create a simple distribution list and send a simple email.