SOLVED

Outlook black boxes, text over text, and video artifacts

Brass Contributor

This applies to Outlook 2019 and Windows 10 Pro.  All Office and Windows Important and Critical updates are installed.  I also updated my video driver and restarted.

Every article I have found on this issue says "Disable hardware graphics acceleration" but Office 2019 Home and Business does not have that option.

Anyone know how to make Outlook look right again?

Thank you in advance!

8 Replies
I'm experiencing this issue too, only just started happening. Restarting Outlook temporarily fixed it, it would randomly break again when I'm half way through an email.

My update history after using the same computer for over 6-years has only 7-entries, which is amazing consider hundreds have been installed. 5 are definition updates. 2 are quality updates, KB4601050 (.NET-related) and KB4023057 (Windows update-related), which don't appear to relate to Outlook. However, I updated from 1909 to 20H1 recently so that is the most likely cause. Rolling back Windows is not an option so I am going to try removing and reinstalling Office as the 20H1 update may have corrupted it.

That said, anyone out there with a targeted fix for this issue so I don't have to use this "shotgun" approach?

best response confirmed by JaxPlanet (Brass Contributor)
Solution

So far, formatting the hard drive, installing Windows 11 and Office 2019, has resolved the problem.

Update 12/15/21:  That did not last long.  The problem has returned.

@JaxPlanet 

We are also seeing this now, updating to windows 11 is not an option as this is on production systems.

Did anyone find a solution?

@JaxPlanet Hi there, I found a fix that seems to be working, disabling hardware acceleration for office under the advanced Tab.

Kind regards

Tristan, you should read posts before replying. As it says above, "Every article I have found on this issue says "Disable hardware graphics acceleration" but Office 2019 Home and Business does not have that option."
I found more than 3 laptops with the same problem and searching on google everyone suggested disabling hardware graphics acceleration, but nothing was found at office 2019 professional. And problem found on windows 10 and windows 11 too. Try to resetting windows and re-install office but no luck. All users are very annoyed, looking for the solutions as earliest.

thanks in advance
I found that resetting the video driver temporarily resolves the problem without having to restart:
Windows Key + CTRL + SHIFT + B
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by JaxPlanet (Brass Contributor)
Solution

So far, formatting the hard drive, installing Windows 11 and Office 2019, has resolved the problem.

Update 12/15/21:  That did not last long.  The problem has returned.

View solution in original post