Outlook Account Suggestion Removal

MVP

I found this in the community with no response, I see the suggested account and I would like to remove it, I see it in Outlook 365 and Outlook PRE, the account is not linked in Windows, I looked at Windows credentials and also Work and School Accounts and in the Registry.

It would be great to know which files I can clean to solve this!

Another discussion Cached Outlook Account Removal? - Microsoft Community Hub

maisondasilva_0-1680785793908.pngmaisondasilva_1-1680785846338.png

9 Replies

@maisondasilva 

I also would like to know how to remove an email account from the suggested screen in New Outlook for Windows 11. 

Thank you !!!

@maisondasilva Did you ever get this resolved?

@Jeff Lamb Just creating a new user or doing a clean install, other than that I still haven't figured out where this is stored!

@maisondasilva Hi,

It seems that removing the synchronization of the Microsoft account for this computer (remove this device) in account settings should work, but user data and related information (including email addresses) will remain in the Microsoft cloud

@A1 In our case, we have multiple accounts due to an acquisition. The source tenant's emails were added side-by-side with the destination tenant. Then we cut-over the domain and changed the user's destination mailboxes primary SMTP to match what they had in the source tenant. Now the source tenant UPNs are @sourcecompany.onmicrosoft.com. Now in "New Outlook", we cannot set-up an account, because we see these old accounts. Two of which are @sourcecompany.com. I suspect that one of them is now the user's active mailbox in the target tenant with the primary SMTP and the duplicate is a "ghost" of the old connection to the source tenant, which no-longer works. 

For the life of me, I cannot find anywhere to remove these accounts. They are present on about a hundred Windows PCs. None of these people can use "New Outlook".

Deleting the users' Windows profiles and making them set-up new ones does solve the problem, but you can imagine how damaging that is to the user's productivity to essentially set-up a new computer.

@Jeff Lamb 

" we cannot set-up an account, because we see these old accounts."

Can you manually enter a new address and sync?

The old address suggestion may be overwritten during the new mailbox configuration.

@A1 - Good suggestion, but no - that doesn't work. The correct email address appears twice in the drop-down menu. I suspect that one of them is a stale/orphaned entry that behind the curtain, points to the tenant where the domain used to be connected. Now the domain is in a different tenant, and we've set the primary SMTP on the new mailboxes to match those from the source tenant.  So in the drop down, we see:

email address removed for privacy reasons

All three are there, and we want "email address removed for privacy reasons" that is associated with the tenant where "company.com" is the new home for the domain.

We need to eliminate ALL of these and let outlook set-up new. We've also opened "Access work or school" accounts in Windows and removed the connection to @@company.onmicrosoft.com, but that doesn't seem to have any effect on New Outlook

@Jeff Lamb 

Only Microsoft technical support can check this and help you solve the problem.

Good luck.