Outlook 365 email body/content not showing

Copper Contributor

Hi! Anyone experiencing the email content not showing up in the Outlook app?

19 Replies

I have the same problem.

@allanligon 

Yep - same problem. Seems like it just started today for me.
Yep me too. Can't fix it either. Has anyone figured out what is wrong?

@allanligon The same on my laptop!

I'm not having any issues with the app or Windows Mail.
We are experiencing this issue as well, specifically with Version 2104 (Build 13929.20372) of Outlook. Haven't found a workaround yet other than to access email from a mobile phone, on the web, or on a Mac.
I have another machine where Outlook hasn't been updated yet: Version 2104 (Build 13929.20296). So far, I'm finding the issue affects the very two latest Windows 10 builds:
Windows 10 version 20H2 19042.964 (optional update)
Windows 10 version 20H2 19042.985

However, we're finding that if you install Windows 10 19042.985 released today and reboot, it seems to fix it.
Same here, and as I can see there are several threads open for the same issue. Aditional to this when the user try to make a new email and hit enter in the body text, the text disappears as if you write same color letters as background. but you can not edit or do anything at the body with any Outlook tools.
The issue seems to be with the CurrentChannel builds and the latest Windows 10 20H2 builds. My previous post stating to update to Windows 10 version 20H2 19042.985 and rebooting fixed it is inaccurate. The end user was resolved in that case because his Office version rolled back to the Semi Annual Channel builds.

If you're on the O365 Current Channel, the easiest fix seems to be to rollback to April 23rd's build:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/current-channel#version-2103-april-23

Run the following from a command line:
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\OfficeC2RClient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.13901.20462
After running the above and downgrading to 20462, I was then able to update Office one more time to today's 20372 build and not have the issue. 20462 must have tickled a setting underneath. This is very weird.

@allanligon Last week I caught up getting the same email loading issue with my Outlook 2019. I can see my email in the inbox but when I tried to open or view the message, the body content gets blank. So I tried to disable the Adds-ins. and it Worked.
You can try disabling the Add-ins. This might be the reason in your case too.
Also, you can try to repair PST file and create a new PST file.

@SpinningRust 

I have tried rollback to previous version, but it didn't work.

I also tried to reinstall MS365 or update the hotfix, but it didn't work.

Plain text email content can be displayed in safe mode.

But I can't always access emails in safe mode, which is not a good idea.

I would like to ask; do you have any others way?

Thank you!

Have had this issue from time to time especially with gmail security alerts, but other domains as well. Some show content others do not and it's not consistent.

What has worked to correct is to exit out of outlook, go to task manager, end outlook tasks. Give it 20 seconds and relaunch outlook. Seems to fix the issue. Can't say always, but it's a quick try.  

Here it is March of 2022 and still I haven't found a fix for this issue. I have to shut my computer completely down to get it to fix the problem for a few hours and the issue comes back. There's got to be a more reliable fix out the there. I have tried everything I have found.  Please help

I don't know if any of you have tried this or not. Try opening your email on your smart phone or device. E-mails not seen on my desktop i can see on my smart phone. This is why i am on here looking for a solution. I get alot of e-mails that i can not see on my Windows 10 outlook, but i can see them on my smart phone. I am still waiting to find out what formatt these sender are useing. Maybe i am missing something in my settings of my outlook 365.
I have the same problem on Windows 11. I have added my gmail and yahoo accounts. For some messages, content is not displayed. If this continues, I will have to discontinue using Outlook to access my email accounts.
Ok here we are in Aug 2022 and still the problem persists. We are having reply content stripped out of some of our messages. We can see the full message if we read from our iPhone or iPad but not using our desktop Windows Outlook 365. This is impacting all three of us in the office. We have removed all add-ins, rebooted, and checked for updates with no success in eliminating the problem.

This strange Outlook issue began happening for me just this past Friday, 10-21-22. Some people I have sent an e-mail to send me a reply back to my gmail account. The entire reply - my original message plus whatever was added by the sender - appears on my Android phone, using the Gmail app: Message-A-on-Android-Phone.jpg 

But when I look at this same reply using the Outlook desktop app (part of my Microsoft 365 installation) only the original message appears: Message-A-on-Outlook-Desktop.jpg 

Whatever was added by the sender is not seen. It's not because the text has the same color as the page/background. IT'S JUST NOT THERE.

What is going on, and how can it possible still be happening after 17 months? Come on, Microsoft... PLEASE FIX THIS!