Outlook 2016, the export feature is grayed out and cannot be selected

Copper Contributor

I just downloaded my Outlook 2016 program on a brand new PC with Windows 10.

My Outlook data file is of the * .ost type because I sync with Exchange with my hotmail. It all works perfectly.

BUT, I would also like to export my entire Outlook data file (would like to generate a pst data file) with the export feature, but it is grayed out and cannot be selected.

What should I activate?

(control panel Area setting for non-unicode languages is Danish - the same as my Danish Outlook installation)

16 Replies

The steps to export are as follows: File -> Open & Export -> Import/Export -> Export to file -> PST. Which one of those do you see as greyed out?

@Vasil Michev 

Thanks. This one is greyed out:  "Import/Export"

Right. So one of the reasons this might happen is because of the language settings. More specifically, the language version of Windows does not match the language version of Office. To fix that, go to Control panel -> Region -> Administrative -> Language for non-Unicode programs and make the change there.

Another option is that the setting is disabled by policy, but it looks like this is a personal machine, so that's more unlikely.

@Vasil Michev 

Outlook 2016 is in Danish. Windows 10 is in Danish. Language for non-Unicode programs is in Danish. I changed this previously from English as part of the finding the problem.

This my new personal PC was originally set with region English, but had Windows 10 installed in Danish - can it have affected something?

My e-mail hotmail.dk account in Outlook 2016 was automatically setup to sync with Exchange which has always worked fine, and on my old PC running Windows 7 and Outlook 2016, the export function worked.

Can you help me?

PS. This is a personal PC, but just to make sure, where do I check the policy seeting?

@Vasil Michev 

Ok, thanks, checked it, and as expected not relevant in my case with a personal PC.

So, can you help me, based upon my last reply?

I'm out of ideas, sorry. Open a support case.

@Vasil Michev 

Thank you very much for your effort.

@Vasil MichevHi there, I know this is an old case but just wanted to add info from me. I also have the option greyed out but unlike the question poster, I have Windows in English and my Office 2019 in Czech language so I thought it will help me change this setting you write about but unfortunately it did not so I will also need to contact support. But thanks for the effort, I see it could be the cause in some cases.

I figured out that the "New" Demo version of outlook keeps the import/export grayed out.  Try selectiing the "old" version of Outlook up on the top right of the Outlook App... should show up on a Mac after that. @Solun460 

@Gpickard 

Thank you so much~!  A potential client wanted a vcard and I indeed had to switch back to the "old" outlook.  A switch of the button and I had what I needed in thirty seconds.  

Yep, thank you, it helped me too.
Now where can I export contacts in csv format?
It only seems to support OLM format which is not what I want.
CSV is supposed to be supported if you read here: https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/181572-how-to-convert-olm-to-csv-on-mac

Hi @ALP19 

Are you using Demo or Trial Version? If you are then, you need to buy License and upgrade to full version to get rid from import export option greyed out error. This feature is limited with trial edition.

Alternatively, you can try Advik Outlook OST Converter, this software will automatically detect MS Outlook profile and allows you to export PST file. Even work with Outlook demo version.

@Gpickard 

Can you provide more detail on where to switch to the "old" version? I can't find the with/toggle?

Thanks!

Solution with language worked like a charm as well with Outlook from Office O365 package.
Just setup the same language for non-Unicode and Outlook, then system restart and voila.

Thanks!