Outlook 2010 App. I need to bounce e-mails back to one sender.

Copper Contributor

Is there any way I can set up a rule in Outlook 2010 app to bounce e-mails back to one sender? I don't want to just want to simply delete them, the sender needs to know they have been rejected by yours truly.

Thanks in advance,

7 Replies
Hi Peter, did you try to create a rule in Outlook?

@Peter_B1941 You could use a reply with template rule, but its not really a bounce, just a response back to the sender. 

My recommendation: reply once, tell the sender not to email you anymore and that you will delete future messages. Then set up a rule to permanently delete messages from the sender. 

I've got the same question, but the offending sender is Microsoft.  I'm listed as an admin for Office 365 for a job I left 2 years ago.  I get multiple emails a month from Microsoft on a private account (I have no idea how they got that, as it is something that even my old work should not have access to).  The emails come from a no-reply address and they are mandatory with no option to unsubscribe.  I contacted Microsoft and they said they can't do anything about it either and won't even let me change the email address to one that I can setup rules on. This address is one I only check on a mobile device and is the only email I have set to reach me at all times, but the client doesn't have any capability (AFAIKT) to create rules that would auto-delete the emails without me seeing them.  Any help?

@mlaps >> I'm listed as an admin for Office 365 for a job I left 2 years ago.

Did they remove you as admin when you left? 

@Diane Poremsky No.  They did not.  They removed the licenses associated with my account (although they remain active even though they haven't been paid in over a year), but they did not remove me as an admin.  I do not wish to contact my former employer about this, so am trying to figure out a way to stop receiving emails without their involvement.

@mlaps If you aren't going to have the employer remove your address, you'll need to set up a rule in webmail to delete the messages or mark it as spam. 

Best guess on how they got the address - when you have an account, Microsoft asks for a backup address to use for password resets.  I used my Gmail address and they send "important" messages to it. 

@Diane Poremsky Thanks.  That seems to be the consensus.  Although, I have to say, pretty frustrating that they won't even let the user change their alternative email address without the involvement of a global admin.

My email provider doesn't support server side rules.  So, I'm limited to the client side.  I can create a rule in Thunderbird on my laptop, but that will only run when the laptop is on.  These messages seem to come through in the early morning when the laptop is off, so the notification on the phone wakes me up.

I'm not sure how MS got this particular address, which I've been really good at only handing out to a handful of family and close friends over the years.  If I was asked to create an alternative address, I would have used a spam account or an alias.