SOLVED

Outlook 2007 search on Windows 11 fails by returning no results

Brass Contributor

Since I upgraded to windows 11, Outlook no longer can search for text in messages.

This was working on Windows 10 and Windows 8/7.

This issue is causing me a headache, I had this issue when upgraded to Windows 10 but was able to fix it searching on the net.

I have tried everything Microsoft support pages suggested, and many others, but with no resolution.

Thank you for any help to resolve the problem.

44 Replies
to my dismay, it works repeatedly whilst I remain in the search window. However, once go move to calendar or to the inbox , then try searching again, I go back to the original problem where I have to reset the indexing process, log out of outlook, then log back in and then run the search. So it appears that the indexing resets to some sort of default every time i chnge from search to inbox or calendar. I will try the link provided by Diane and hopefully that resolves all this once and for all.
Thanks

@Orlando418a bit confused. Are you saying the beker fix (and my addition to it) is failing? I don't use Outlook's email, but the fix remains when I switch from calendar to tasks, contacts, etc. Please let us know how Diane's link works out.

Thanks again DIane
I downloaded and installed the fix but it didn't resolve the issue. What it did do, was everytime I opened Outlook 2007 the search feature worked but only at the first attempt. After that it reverted bck to the orginal problem. I.e I need to go back and uncheck outlook in the index options in settings.
I think i did all that was required for the fix - download and instal.
Any other suggestions would be welcome as the search feature in outlook is quite useful considering how many emails come in
Regards
Orlando
Good day
apologies for the confusion.
The suggestions by yourself and Beker both worked and continue to remain functional on my business computer which operates in the Windows10 environment, so that is all good. A million thanks.
My work-from-home computer operates under Windows 11. On this one, the fixes worked and continued to work whilst I remained in the search window. Once I went back into the Inbox or Calendar or Tasks etc then returned to Search, the search feature stopped working. On rechecking the settings, I noticed that the box for Outlook in the Control Panel\Indexing window reverted back to being checked again. The one under Tools/Options in Outlook remained unchecked. So the box in Indexing seems to revert back to it’s ‘default’ setting.

If I applied the fixes again, (yours and Bekers’) the search feature would work but the same cycle outlined above would repeat.
I also applied Diane's fix update but that made a slight difference as I have outlined in my response to her.
Headaches regarding this search saga Works in Windows 10 but not windows 11
Thanks
So here's a funny thing, I just check my (Windows 11) control panel 'indexing options' and, like yours, my Outlook is checked again, yet my search in Outlook still works. It doesn't work the way it used to work, searching as I type, but it does work when I type a word, then click the Outlook magnifying glass search icon.

I had a vague recollection of one more thing I think I tried, and I'm wondering if it might be the key: In the control panel 'indexing options', under 'advanced', under 'file types', I unchecked 'pst'. Is yours checked? If so, give that a go.
Thanks again for responding.
No,again, same problem despite modifying the pst entry

What i have found from playing around though, is that it searches properly the first time I do the search. After that the search works if i either type the FULL name of the sender, or through a wildcard search eg super* or the full name superannuation. However ti will not find *annuation or *annua*
So i have no idea what is happening.. I will have to run my searches with the above approach otherwise simply just log out and in again to do a search. absurd.

THis is why I loathe upgrading my windows platforms. All was working perfectly fine in windows 7 but that machine broke down and all machines including the replacement ones I bought came with windows 10 ( my business computer, where the outlook feature works) and the home computer with windows 11 where it doesn't work.
I could always upgrade to ms office 2021 or 365 but then I am not sure ow that will affect all my macros I have set up especially in ACCESS. And then that is another cost.
THanks again

Another development
I decided to import my outlook profile from my old home computer (which I had originally exported to a backup location as a pst file into a folder ready for importing).
THe import into windows 11 into outlook worked flawlessly and searching has returned to normal !!!!!
ANd on that note, I have had a total bellyful of outlook and it;'s godforsaken search beast !

Thanks to all for your input.

And i hope it doesn't collapse again when i go back to it later.
and I am not sure what happened, possibly the update from Diane on WIn 11 has enabled the settings suggested by beker and GB to remain stable
That's great news. Whatever you do, don't search for answers :)
Thanks for the fix, very useful and working.

Unchecking everything everywhere and restarting OUTLOOK 2007 using the EXIT command fixed it!   @Orlando418 

@beker thank you so much now its working.

I could not get this to work, after removing both outlook and outlook 2007 outlook 2007 kept reassigning itself.

My solution was: (While in Outlook 2007)

Then uncheck “Index messages in these files":
Im my case it was Personal Folders.

Also click on “when searching” show results from all folders

Hope this helps someone too.
My message to Becker:
I could not get this to work, after removing both outlook and outlook 2007 outlook 2007 kept reassigning itself.

My solution was: (While in Outlook 2007)

Then uncheck “Index messages in these files":
Im my case it was Personal Folders.

Also click on “when searching” show results from all folders

Hope this helps someone too.

@beker Thanks so much for this simple solution! Was going a little nuts trying to solve this for a customer with a new Surface Laptop that comes pre-installed with Win11. You rock.

Thnx very much! You best! Disable search to make the search work. It breaks the brain.
Thanks a lot for this tip.. Worked very well
Mad i know.. but glad it worked for you.
Happy it helped you too.
I too spent hours on this one having just purchased a new PC with Win-11.
Win-10 was fine. but at least we now know this works.