New Outlook for Mac - My Computer Files

Copper Contributor

Just switched to the new Outlook for Mac.  What happened to On My Computer Files folders?  I used to have all my old emails grouped by years in .pst files.

If I go to Preferences, and General, the "Hide On My Computer folders" is grayed out.

If I go to File, Import and Export are grayed out.

Please help!

Thanks!

38 Replies

Thanks! I went and provided my feedback!

@JayBrant I solved the problem by toggling on the upper right and going back to the older version. Did not have time to wait for Microsoft to solve the problem in the new Outlook.

Hi ya. @cbudge1 That doesn't work for me because the old version strips off ALL attachments.

@ am using the old version since I have the On My Computer that includes attachments, as well as calendar events. We shouldn't be charged for a new product when we can't use it. It was Microsoft that provided the On My Computer, and to now ignore it, is not good corporate responsibility. We have been promised for over a year that it is being worked on. by Whom!!!!!

Absolutely. Same response I sent to cbudge1.

@Sandypca 

my biggest issue is that i had email contact lists/group emails that i rely on so as not to type 6 names into the "to" and inadvertently pick a wrong but same first name.  i didn't realize that contact lists reside only in the Address Book which is On My Computer in IMAP accounts.  i'm told this is a bug that will undergo fixing but that no ETA could be provided yet.

i don't understand that explanation as the pop-up warning that On My Computer folders wouldn't be supported in - and therefore not migrated to - new outlook sounds intentional, not buggy.

I have reverted to the old version, repaired and recovered my old profile, but cannot find the messages or folders that were stored in the "on my computer" folder list. they have completely disappeared. Surely they must be stored somewhere ON MY COMPUTER????? any ideas where to look?

@juliajuliabowencomau 

I searched for ".pst" and found them in the Outlook folder

Outlook on Mac does not use a pst file.
Did you delete the profile they were in? If not, open the profile and export to an olm file.

They should be in the database Outlook on mac uses but I don't know of a way to restore them unless you have a time machine backup or exported to an olm file.

+1 for needing this feature. 

It's preventing me from adopting the "new" (3 year old) Outlook for Mac.

I just contacted support and was told because my OLM file is not on their server I can't import it.   This is clearly a debacle on their part.

@Footer68 

It's just so bizarre me because when I flip toggle to use the old, "On My Computer" works and is supported ... but when I flip the toggle to use the new UI, it's missing.

So Outlook the client can early support local archive (PST) files, they are just not allowing it in the new UI.

This is literally preventing so many people from using the new UI, it's sad.

Especially since the old UI hasn't received any updates in 2 years. I'm basically stuck using an out-of-support Outlook client.

OK I found a way to do this. It's a real hack but it worked for me. LInk https://www.datarepairtools.com/blog/import-olm-emails-to-outlook/. You basically create a GMAIL IMAP account. Move folders to in from old outlook and move them back in new outlook. It worked for me.
Hey Try this. It worked for me. Just when you copy folder do drag and drop. Also you can't have a slash in the name

https://www.datarepairtools.com/blog/import-olm-emails-to-outlook/
even worse, as of in 2022, the "Hide On My Computer folders" option has completely gone.

@AaronWW    The whole problem for me was that I can't move files to my local folders.  That is still not working.  Fix that and all will be good with the new outlook.

@Footer68 How bizarre! I agree... what's the point of having local folders if you can't move files to them.