navigation bar moved to left

Iron Contributor

Dears,

The navigation bar has been moved to the left. How can I change it back to be on the bottom?

1.png 

416 Replies
This works like a charm! thank you

Ahah I love this bar on the left and I have update for have it :)

Thx

@MBZ1_ 

@MBZ1_ Hello guys, you can set this as previous. you will have to set "coming soon as Off".

You will get it (Coming Soon) on top of right corner. 

Hello guys, you can set this as previous. you will have to set "coming soon as Off". You will get it (Coming Soon) on top of right corner.

@Vik99977 

Outstanding! Thanks.

@Vik99977 

thank you for this valuable information.  it worked for me.  I truly hope Microsoft doesn't continue to dictate formatting of applications.  I moved from Apple to Windows for the flexibility Windows gives me.

OK, I tried to move the left sidebar like I used to by dragging it to the bottom. After a very frustrating time of running through every Outlook menu looking for the checkoff box to put it back on the bottom of the screen (how I like it) - nope, not anywhere in Outlook anymore. So, by reading everything I could, I've discovered that the last update Microsoft did was to make the left bar a permanent fixture.

I've been a Microsoft geek since 1984, and still cannot understand why they don't ask the people who actually use their software what they would like, instead of making changes and letting us figure out how to restore the application back to the way it was.       

@Skutch I have Windows 11, with all the latest updates. The open in safe mode, then close and reopen normally worked for me. That's all I know.

@Jim_K-M 

Thanks Jim. Haven't tried that one yet. Yeah, me too, all the updates always.

So...

1) Cold boot to Safe mode, with (or without) Internet access?

2 Open Outllook.

3) Cold boot again to normal OS. 

4) Open Outlook, and then the left screen applicatior bar can be moved?

This worked perfectly thank you so much!

@MBZ1_ 

Thanks for this post, and the answers to turn off "try it now".  Worked for me, but from what I understand we doomed to have it on the left eventually without option to switch.  Chiming in here, on the off chance someone in development will actually pay attention to users and provide the option. UGH, HATE it on the left..

There is always hope that there will be a registry key to move it, but yes, the vertical bar is the hot new thing.

In s quick look, I didn't see a suggestion or feedback in https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/forum/89a8afa3-2e1c-ec11-b6e7-0022481f8472 - that is that is the best way to have a voice in this. Post the link here so we can upvote it.

On my big monitor, it's fine - the buttons at the top are more convenient, which is helpful since they changed the Ctrl+n shortcuts for the modules (only visible buttons have shortcuts). But on my laptop, I could use the 50 px it takes up in the message list or reading pane.,

That work perfect. Thank you. settled my OCD@tolgac 

Randy, thanks for this info. I can't see an ellipsis anywhere......thoughts?
None of the solutions explained above have worked for me. Any other ideas?
Which version, build, and channel of Outlook are you using? See File, Office Account for the information. In the near future, Coming Soon will be removed and the vertical bar will be permanent. (I'm in the beta channel and coming soon is no longer available.)

@Diane Poremsky fortunately turning off Coming Soon and relaunching it solved the issue for the time being....................... Seeing Coming Soon mentioned jogged my failing memory :)

Thanks Vik, this solved it for me, all I did was turn off Try it now restarted Outlook, I didn't even have to go to Safe Mode.

The key issue for me was that the CTRL-8 shortcut to Journal had stopped working. My worry now is that when (if) this Coming Soon feature becomes permanent we will lose that shortcut permanently. I hope the MS engineers are reading!

@Graham Hyman 

>>

The key issue for me was that the CTRL-8 shortcut to Journal had stopped working. My worry now is that when (if) this Coming Soon feature becomes permanent we will lose that shortcut permanently. I hope the MS engineers are reading!

<<

Your worries are well founded... and rather than hope the engineers are reading, submit feedback: 

Outlook · Community (microsoft.com)

Ctrl+7 is the shortcut I miss the most, but at least that is on the overflow. 

BTW - I haven't checked, but if the journal button is in the ribbon commands (it should be), you can add that to the QAT to get into it. But even so, the loss of the well-known shortcuts we've used for 20+ years is bad. 

Thanks @Diane Poremsky I have left feedback on the Forum Let's hope someone notices. BTW, I really appreciate all your contributions, especially your Combine and Print Multiple Outlook Calendar macro. I use it daily, it is a lifesaver.