navigation bar moved to left

Iron Contributor

Dears,

The navigation bar has been moved to the left. How can I change it back to be on the bottom?

1.png 

416 Replies
That's the way. I also had used the 'Coming soon'. Vik's approach works.
Thank you so much !!!

@MBZ1_ 

Add me to the group who came here in hopes of finding a solution for moving the navigation bar from the left. One of  my pet peeves across platforms and apps is the tendency for navigation bars and even pop-up windows to trend to the left. It's awkward, inconvenient, impedes efficiency along with ease of movement. Guessing one of the higher ups at MS set in their ways was determined that this change be made.

No joy here. Guessing that ship sailed. Thought I was safe from always ignoring (i.e. not clicking on) the 'coming soon' feature. And today I learned that makes no difference. :\

@42forall did you try my trick of opening in safe mode, closing, then reopening in regular mode? It worked for me.

Worked great! Thanks :folded_hands:

@Vik99977 

I followed your instructions, and even though it wouldn't let me open outlook in safe mode, I read between the lines and turned off "Coming Soon", closed Outlook, opened it again and voila!   Icons were back at the bottom - where they need to be - are you listening Microsoft???!!!

@Jim_K-MI did. That part which says "The option to turn "Coming Soon" back off is available again in the upper right"? Nope. Sadly not there.

@42forall I had to use this registry key to get my Outlook to revert.

Turn off Coming Soon for your organization (microsoft.com)

@_JR321Happily when I logged in this morning, everything is now tickety-boo. Safe mode did end up working but apparently needed a subsequent log-in to trigger the reversion.

It is an Outlook coming Soon feature, If you don't like that you can turn if off.

RME1976_0-1647349336862.png

Read the previous replies from others. Not an option for everyone.

@Rj__M Totally agree - for the life of me I cannot understand why they change stuff that in changes the look and feel, but services no functional purpose.  I have spent several hours trying this until I ran into this thread and found out they changed it.  I just shake my head and wonder why they do stuff like this.  Put it back or provide option for user to do it.

Turn off the Coming Soon toggle on the top right. All is right in the world again!!!! Microsoft quit changing things or just give us the option to change it back :\

@SarHan16 Thanks for pointing that out

If you have coming soon, turn it off. You can try the suggestion to edit the registry to disable coming soon ( https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/turn-off-coming-soon-for-your-organization-0ac68b98-47e8-4... )

Or try this registry key.
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Preferences] "EnablePreviewPlace"=dword:00000000
(From https://forums.slipstick.com/threads/98939-navigation-pane-location-and-options/post-359935)

It's not recommended to use safe mode.

@_JR321   I too cannot move my navigation bar and don't like it up on the left..   I like to be able to customize my icons for MY usage.   Microsoft~ please read our comments and let us put the bar back where we want it not where YOU think we want it.  Try ASKING us first!  thanks, but no thanks!

Another one for the list - this change *SUCKS*.  I just wasted too much time trying to figure out why it moved the icons to such an awful place, which for me is way up at the upper left of my leftmost screen, given where I park Outlook.  This just wastes a huge vertical strip down the left side of the window now and puts the icons in the absolute worst place for me.  Put them back, or at least let me do it.

I am pissed.  Fix this.

@MBZ1_ 

Here is what I got from Microsoft help and it worked:

This view is a part of new user interface change implemented by the development team and that is the reason the navigation bar is now appear on the extreme left of the Outlook window.

We request you to access the link in a incognito or in-private window and download the Registry file. Once the file is downloaded, please double click the file and click on 'Yes' to merge it. Lastly, restart Outlook twice. We are positive that this will mitigate the problem observed.

https://microsoft-my.sharepoint-df.com/:f:/p/v-nikash/EqTsUAWSTMdJuisQIYxUv1cBKVs1nOl2FuwqcaDiqAXGfA...

For those concerned about running a random file - these are the contents:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\ExperimentEcs\Overrides]
"ofm1jti54ear4s1"="true"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\ExperimentEcs\Overrides\Outlook]
"Microsoft.Office.Outlook.PreviewPlace.Cleanup"="ofm1jti54ear4s1"

You can manually add those in the registry editor, and it does work.