Is Outlook being discontinued at any point in the forseeable future?

Copper Contributor

A business associate recently told me he's fairly certain Outook email is being discontinued in the near future - I told him he was probably mistaken an that they are discontinuing hotmail and live mail, but not outlook.

Given my personality type, I of course (hours later) can't help but wonder if perhaps I was mistaken - is outlook (or any part of it) slated to be phased out anytime soon?

5 Replies

@PNP_Tube 

I would agree with you.  This is very very unlikely.  I'd bet good money on Outlook being around for a good couple of years or so at least yet.

@PNP_Tube 

No, Outlook is not going away anytime soon nor even not-so-soon.  Outlook.com is not going away either.  As to "parts" of Outlook, the feature set it provides is constantly changing, new features are added, old ones are sometimes removed or changed.  An example of this is the People Pane.  Its still available in the longer term release channels, but is no longer available in the Insider Fast channel, nor is it available in Outlook 2019.  Long term, it is to be deprecated; like all features, however, that will ultimately depend on the Outlook user community.

All this about not going away is good to hear, however, keep your eye on how TEAMS is developed.  I am predicting that Outlook goes away for business.   Outlook is old fashioned, the time has come and gone for it! Communication platforms will be streamlined. They will invest more into developing a more robust, and all inclusive TEAMS for business, and Outlook will become what Hotmail was.