SOLVED

Impossible to delete outlook add-ins

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I've being trying to delete several add-ins for Outlook for Office 365 Desktop, namely :

-Microsoft Outlook Social Connector / Outlook Social Connector 2013/2016

-Skype Meeting add-in for Outlook 2016

-Outlook Change Notifier

-Adobe PDF Maker

-ABBY Finereader

They are all deactivated, except Skype add-in.

I started Outlook with admin privilege, went to the options and deleted each add-in.

All went well, no error message, all add-ins were gone from the list of add-ins.

I close and restart Outlook... and all add-ins are back in place again!

I could not find any help online about this, hence my question.

Any idea about what I can do about this?

Thanks.

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Jerome Lena (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Jerome Lena  You should be able to delete the registry keys for them... but if possible, either uninstall the software that added them or disable the addin in the software - otherwise it may add it back. 

>-Microsoft Outlook Social Connector / Outlook Social Connector 2013/2016

Microsoft will be removing this in the coming weeks. 

>-Outlook Change Notifier

iTunes installed this. Every update will likely reinstall it. 

-Adobe PDF Maker

-ABBY Finereader

You can definitely remove the acrobat addin Control panel > Program & Features > select Acrobat then click Change > Modify. I don't have ABBY to check.

Honestly, if they are disabled I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to remove them if you can't remove it through the app's installer (or remove the app.)  But if you want to try deleting the registry - the addins are listed here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Addins

If installed for all user, they will be under the HKLM key instead. 

@Diane Poremskythank you very much for your swift help! I will follow your advice and leave the inactive add-ins as they are - and update the registry manually for the iTunes add-in which is currently the only one that bring up an error message when Outook starts.

Take care!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Jerome Lena (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Jerome Lena  You should be able to delete the registry keys for them... but if possible, either uninstall the software that added them or disable the addin in the software - otherwise it may add it back. 

>-Microsoft Outlook Social Connector / Outlook Social Connector 2013/2016

Microsoft will be removing this in the coming weeks. 

>-Outlook Change Notifier

iTunes installed this. Every update will likely reinstall it. 

-Adobe PDF Maker

-ABBY Finereader

You can definitely remove the acrobat addin Control panel > Program & Features > select Acrobat then click Change > Modify. I don't have ABBY to check.

Honestly, if they are disabled I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to remove them if you can't remove it through the app's installer (or remove the app.)  But if you want to try deleting the registry - the addins are listed here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Addins

If installed for all user, they will be under the HKLM key instead. 

View solution in original post