Group emails not coming to my inbox

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I'm using the latest Outlook 365.  Emails coming to a group that I'm a member is not coming to my inbox.

I want to use my inbox for all emails and I don't want to use groups.

Send all group conversations and events to members’ inboxes is checked.

What can I do?

Best regards

29 Replies

As long as you are "subscribed" to the Group, they should be hitting your Inbox. Do you maybe have any rules in place that might be affecting those messages? Have you checked your "other" inbox and Junk folder? If none of the above applies, I'd suggest running a message trace: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/securitycompliance/message-trace-scc

@Vasil Michev  I've unchecked follow in inbox and checked it again.

Now there is no problem. I'm following it.

Best regards

@Vasil Michev I am experiencing the same issue. I unchecked the "Send copies of group conversations and events to group members’ inboxes." option in the Office 365 group, saved, re-checked the option, and saved again but the messages still only appear in the group inbox. I checked the Junk folder in my mailbox and the messages are not there. There are no rules in Outlook or Exchange and the message trace shows it was received by the group but there is no indication it was also forwarded to the member inboxes (I'm currently the only member until I get this working and add other staff). What can I try next?

@sprivera we are experiencing the same issue and unchecking and checking again is not resolving it.  Is there anything else we can do to resolve this issue?  Or do I need to put a ticket in?

@LacyKO We are experiencing the same issue intermittently for some groups and consistently for other groups. 

@ermanu I'm having the same problem. I've tried everything today to get a group showing in my inbox but to no avail! 

Glad I'm not the only one!

@Ellen McComish 

It seems that the emails originated by you will not show up in your own inbox.  If you add another member to the group.  Have them send out a test email.  It works this way for me.

@Steve1115 thanks for the tip, but alas it doesn't work for me :( I was wondering if they were progressively migrating away from this functionality given that the future seems to be in Teams.

@ermanu 

You all are experiencing the same issue, same with me. So please start giving likes  to the post in order to bring attention to the post.

@Vasil Michev is there anything else you suggest?

@Vasil Michev is there anything else you suggest?

Hello All

@ermanu
@Vasil Michev
@sprivera
@LacyKO
@jtobrien
@Steve1115
@Teqnkka
@Ellen McComish

I also had similar issues/questions and spoke to Microsoft Team support and found this is how O365 Groups behave. Back in 2017, it was behaving as we were all expecting, a copy of the message was delivered to sender's personal inbox. 

But due to chaos on peoples mind and cleanup no of inbox replies massacre.

They brought this change on purpose and more info can be found here on the below link:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-365-Groups/Feature-update-Email-sending-behavior-for-G...

Please live with this.

@J3eva 

I am experiencing the same behavior, however,  We are not using Teams. This is strictly an Outlook issue for us. Other user's in our office, in the same group do not experience the issue. 

@sprivera I had the same issue with a DL I converted to a Group, but set it up with 'do not send messages to user's inbox' (thought it meant Team messages). I ended up editing the group in Exchange Admin - in General select 'Subscribe new members', then remove / re-add each team member. Worked immediately.

@LacyKO 

@ermanu I've been battling the "messages sent to group do not come into sender's inbox' since changing our Finance DL to a Group a few months ago - stumbled upon the solution, thought I'd leave it here if it still helps anyone:

1) Log into OWA (www.office.com > Outlook)

2) Click the Settings gear in the upper right

3) Click on 'View all Outlook Settings at bottom right

4) In Settings, select Mail, then Groups - select 'Send me a copy of email I send to a group'

I tested this immediately after enabling, no luck, then again the next day and it works as described. Make sure you're following the group in question. 

@ermanu 

I've been experiencing this issue as well. I've setup a Team for one of our customers with four members (all now owners).

When the team was created I selected to subscribe all new members (which I have since disabled, saved, re-enabled, and saved again), but only the original owner received emails when emailing the Team.

I've checked Message Trace, and it shows 'Expanded' with the following message:

"The message was sent to the following group: [Team]@[domain].co.uk. Office 365 received the message and sent it to the group members."

When I the run a trace on the members it only shows as delivered to the original owner, with no mention of the message at all in the trace of the other members.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

There seems to be a way to get the old behavior back for new members via powershell.

Office365 Groups PowerShell to Subscribe Members - Stack Overflow (stackoverflow.com)

Can you change the subscribe parameter for single users with powershell as well? Then you could write a script for all users.

My issue is the opposite. My user had changed the follow inbox setting to "All email and alerts." This made it harder to watch for emails coming into the Group email for her. Now I cannot get her emails to show back up in the Group folder in her Outlook but it shows up in OWA mail. It seems to be related to Outlook but I cannot find the fix for this.
This easy fix (VERY easy fix!) worked like a charm! Next time I'll know to create the group with no members, then add the members from Exchange Admin instead of the 365Admin interface. THANKS, Bill!
This actually helped me to find the solution. Thank you.